Old family photos

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
I've be organizing our family albums and scanning photos to ultimately distribute to my family. I came across a photo of my great grandmother feeding her chickens. As you can kinda tell from the less than flat terrain, they lived in the Catskills Mtns where they dairy farmed.

A long shot, but can anyone guess on what breed of chickens they are?

grandmachickens.jpg

FANtasic pic!!!

I am not chicken expert, and even looked at those white ones, but they're much more "chubby" than my leghorn (Ideal 236)

Quote:
Very hard to tell - and the chances are they're probably all mixed... "survival of the fit and all" the white's look really nice and chunky - but Leghorns could have looked like that back in the day!

Quote:
Can you BELIEVE we found an old family photo printed in a calendar!!! Way cool!

That would be way cool wild........how did you find it?

We moved into my husbands grandfathers house, and he has SO much "junk" - anyway I found the calendar with the phone books, I don't know what year it is - and the name is there and all...... THe family used to own a HUGE ranch just north of us, they sold it and apparently the folks that own it now are running it into the ground. Nothing would make me happier than to get my sticky fingers on it..... My Hubby's family was rather large around here a couple of decades ago - they stopped having so many kids - my husbands father is an only child, so it all kinda died down.
ANyway, the pic in the calendar is my husband great grandfather - on the ranch north of us, plowing the fields with horses... really cool!

Speaking of so much STUFF around here, I found old love letters - post marked 1918 - I've not read them - but put them all in a shoe box - I should sit down and read them one day!

Last edited:
Quote:
That would be way cool wild........how did you find it?

We moved into my husbands grandfathers house, and he has SO much "junk" - anyway I found the calendar with the phone books, I don't know what year it is - and the name is there and all...... THe family used to own a HUGE ranch just north of us, they sold it and apparently the folks that own it now are running it into the ground. Nothing would make me happier than to get my sticky fingers on it..... My Hubby's family was rather large around here a couple of decades ago - they stopped having so many kids - my husbands father is an only child, so it all kinda died down.
ANyway, the pic in the calendar is my husband great grandfather - on the ranch north of us, plowing the fields with horses... really cool!

That is one awesome story to pass on wild........so cool.......

Back
Top Bottom