Old family photos

Quote:
There is lots of old stuff around here - its taking me SO long to clear the place becuase I don't want to toss out anything with value - we have old books that are falling APART - but they have inscriptions and signatures and stuff.....

I haven't even been in the basement... ok I have but I don't like it down there - eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww - but thats where I found the love letters....

Quote:
I would have stopped and read those letters right then and there even if the house had been on fire. Sounds too interesting to set aside. Never know what you might learn.

OH I would so go down there....holding your hand.....I am one who will do anything for some history......well....okay.not anything....but love love love personal history and such..........I am always amazed at how much of that stuff I find at auctions ,just sold to anyone.usually me !

gig.gif
I'm sure I'll read em one day - by first glance it looked to be from someone in the milatary or army......

You guys are funny - you're gonna have me RUMAGING through the basement tomorrow!!!
gig.gif

ep.gif
Oops - well I'll try get down there - I'll have to put all those letters into order first - I just stuffed them into a box as they were all just lying around.
I'll let you know what I discover - keep your eyes peeled for a new thread!! (not tomorrow - I actually have to work!
he.gif
)

Those letters could be from WWI - that sounds really neat. I agree with Okiechick - go for it and read them.

I wish my mom was still alive so I could hear all the old stories about my relatives... although things do change in some ways, many things never do -- and one is love.

Wonderful picture. My Family also came from the Catskills Mtns.
I have never been to the area but want to go with my mother & sister and visit the old grave yard.
And pay my respects to our ansestors. We have a few pictures taken around the same time but they
do not have the chickens in them. And no one is smiling. Life must have been hard back then.

Melanie

Hi Melanie,
Do you know where they lived in the Catskill area? I've actually still got some relatives up there. It's a very poor economic area right now. Of course many of the family farmers can no longer survive. The farm that this picture was taken from was sold by my distant cousins to a NYC business man. Not sure why he bought it, but he's left it to rot and try as I may, he is not interested in selling it to me for my sons to farm.

Were your relatives into dairy farming like so many in the catskills?

Back
Top Bottom