Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

So tomorrow is day 20 for my broody, I just hope someone can answer this question because it is one of those small things that play on my mind. Tomorrow, should I let her get off her nest for food like she usually does or should I put some in her nest box? I say this because apparently you shouldn't open your incubator close to the hatch so was just thinking it might be the same for hens.

Well I sectioned off a area awhile back on the storage side of my coop for a makeshift brooder. The chicks that i had in there have outgrown it. So I set it up the way I thought she might like it. She has her own feeder and waterer. I moved her and her eggs over but she wasnt too happy. Hopefully she will settle down and ill be able to add the fertile eggs tonight.

I moved two broodie hens into to pens. Both took a day or so to settle in and from then on no problems. The first one hatched 8 of 8. The second broodie is on day 11 so far so good.

So tomorrow is day 20 for my broody, I just hope someone can answer this question because it is one of those small things that play on my mind. Tomorrow, should I let her get off her nest for food like she usually does or should I put some in her nest box? I say this because apparently you shouldn't open your incubator close to the hatch so was just thinking it might be the same for hens.

I got mine of the nest twice a day to eat & drink, although she had food & water in her pen. On day 20 I open the door to check on her & she rushed out all on her own to eat, poop, & drink. While she was out I picked up one egg which chirped. I picked up another egg, which also chirped. Later that afternoon I checked on her & 2 chicks had hatched. When I went out @ 5to let my flock free range, all her chicks had hatched!!! No expert here just saying.

I got mine of the nest twice a day to eat & drink, although she had food & water in her pen. On day 20 I open the door to check on her & she rushed out all on her own to eat, poop, & drink. While she was out I picked up one egg which chirped. I picked up another egg, which also chirped. Later that afternoon I checked on her & 2 chicks had hatched. When I went out @ 5to let my flock free range, all her chicks had hatched!!! No expert here just saying.
Ok, thanks! I really hope she gets adleast one but it all went wrong!, If they don't hatch by Monday, I will get her some more eggs or see if anyone close to me has some day olds.

Well maybe its just mine but I just went back in to check on her and she trashed the pen knocking the waterer and feeder over. I picked the eggs up since she wasnt sitting on them and put them back where they were in the main coop. She fallowed me and jumped back up there and covered them up. I think I might just have to let her hatch them where she wants to then move the chicks after they hatch. Right now she has 3 infertile eggs and I plan on getting 6+ Silver Ameracauna Fertile eggs today.

URGH!! my hen left 2 eggs uncovered! day 19 is just not the day for this
he.gif
!, luckily, one of the two eggs was the one I thought was rotten, the other one wasn't that cold, so I am hoping it still has a chance. So I tucked them both back under her. The way she is acting at the minute, I'm starting to question weather she deserves for the eggs to hatch. If they don't hatch, I will give her four more and put the nest box divider back up so she has a smaller nest.

Well maybe its just mine but I just went back in to check on her and she trashed the pen knocking the waterer and feeder over.  I picked the eggs up since she wasnt sitting on them and put them back where they were in the main coop.  She fallowed me and jumped back up there and covered them up.  I think I might just have to let her hatch them where she wants to then move the chicks after they hatch.  Right now she has 3 infertile eggs and I plan on getting 6+ Silver Ameracauna Fertile eggs today. 

I've had success changing nests at night. They will respond best if you set up the area first, cover their heads with a small towel, and move them in near or total darkness. Uncover them once in place and leave them alone the next morning. By afternoon they should be happily sitting on the new nest. Slip the fertile eggs under her and you're done.

Bobbiechicks, is Bunny still broody? (I am so good at remembering things, I can ever remember the names of other peoples hens!)

I've had success changing nests at night. They will respond best if you set up the area first, cover their heads with a small towel, and move them in near or total darkness. Uncover them once in place and leave them alone the next morning. By afternoon they should be happily sitting on the new nest. Slip the fertile eggs under her and you're done.

Ok maybe I'll try it but not sure if I want to risk it. It seems she's doing fine in the main coop. The other hens leave her alone. This morning when I opened the door to the run she went out with the others which worried me. But then shortly she returned to her nest. Is this normal behavior?

Bobbiechicks, is Bunny still broody?  (I am so good at remembering things, I can ever remember the names of other peoples hens!)

You are good t remembering :) yes she's sitting on ping pong balls right now. Her six Rhodes Island Reds are due here either Monday or Tuesday. I'm hoping she will stay broody until then.

I had hoped Smokey would go broody and give them both three chicks, but no such thing has happened. She isn't interested right now..

Back
Top Bottom