Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
Pretty pictures! Love the EE...what a cutie!

X2!! She does look like a model posing for her cover shot! Out of curiosity, what type of camera do you use? You take some of the cleanest, clearest pictures I have seen. I'm assuming some of that is due to talent, but I know a good camera doesn't hurt!

I love that bent leg in the Vogue shot!
wink.png

It's a Canon EOS Rebel XSi using a 55 - 250 mm IS lens mostly (or the 28 - 55 mm IS lens). A few years old now but still takes great pictures. Not terribly expensive gear but better than a point and shoot. I have fun with it, at any rate.

All seems to be going smoothly
fl.gif

The bouncing baby buffys have been allowed in with the grown up flock today.

They are pretty much keeping to their original area. The big birds are curious but not showing any aggression towards the babies
thumbsup.gif

I have left the nursery house, so the babies can go to bed there if they want to, and as long as they want to, and there are 2 lots of food and water
thumbsup.gif

I guess there might be some rumpus at bedtime, but I'm sure they will all sort themselves out when they are ready
ya.gif

They know so much more about being chickens than I do!
gig.gif

And the good news is that Phoebe the Freebie has decided not to be broody any more since there are new kids to play with. So maybe Hermione can actually lay IN the nestbox now?!
hide.gif

Dang! Mother broody is on the war path today. Several fights that required intervention - one for her benefit and one for the poor girl at the other end. Even one of the roos got involved in this one. This broody business is SERIOUS stuff!! An 8' by 12' coop (with roosts and nest boxes) is not big enough for even 2 chickens when one of them is broody!!!!! Dang.
tongue.png

Quote:
I had 3 broodys in the coop with chicks at one time, oh my it was something else when they all started out the door and chicks would get confused as to who mama was..

Quote:
That frizzle has to be a girl look how she is posing!!! I love it when they sun bathe they really get into it.
lol.png

I REALLY hope the frizzle is a girl. (I'm tentatively calling her Hannah.) If she is, I'll put her in with my Blue Ameraucana roo next spring and hopefully, hatch out a batch of frizzled EEs. What fun!!
big_smile.png
(Couldn't possibly put her with the Black or the Blue Copper Marans. Those guys are WAY too big. But maybe some of her frizzled kids will be big enough to handle a Marans - then I'll have frizzled olive eggers -- listen to me plan!! Talk about counting your chickens before they're hatched. Sheesh.
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
Quote:
That frizzle has to be a girl look how she is posing!!! I love it when they sun bathe they really get into it.
lol.png

I REALLY hope the frizzle is a girl. (I'm tentatively calling her Hannah.) If she is, I'll put her in with my Blue Ameraucana roo next spring and hopefully, hatch out a batch of frizzled EEs. What fun!!
big_smile.png
(Couldn't possibly put her with the Black or the Blue Copper Marans. Those guys are WAY too big. But maybe some of her frizzled kids will be big enough to handle a Marans - then I'll have frizzled olive eggers -- listen to me plan!! Talk about counting your chickens before they're hatched. Sheesh.
tongue.png
)

what breed is your frizzle again? that would be so cool to get frizzled olive eggers, I don't think I've ever seem one. I would like to have a white frizzle since i have a blk one. so far haven't gotten a frizzle chick yet.. maybe next year.

Quote:
big_smile.png
tongue.png
)

what breed is your frizzle again? that would be so cool to get frizzled olive eggers, I don't think I've ever seem one. I would like to have a white frizzle since i have a blk one. so far haven't gotten a frizzle chick yet.. maybe next year.

She's a bantam white leghorn frizzle. (Friendly little critter, too. She's always the first one to jump in my hand when it comes a calling and she's hard to get rid of. Climbs up my arm rather than down.) (The lady that gave me the egg said it's the first time she's ever let one of her frizzle eggs go so I really am delighted that it hatched.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom