Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

It was raining and my broody decided it was a good idea to shelter the chicks outside, my dog went up to her and sniffed the chicks and she give him a ferm peck on the nose and he ran off!
485507_4173977047370_449961310_n.jpg

Then she was smarter and took them inside:
378024_4173982687511_1692457093_n.jpg

Then when she went back outside the chicks suddenly thought their auntie was mama and they were trying to get under her!:

Well, 8 eggs hatched, and Mama got up. There were three eggs left under her, all pipped and partially zipped. The first two hatched, and I put them under Mama. The third was almost completely zipped, so I picked up the egg and put it under her. I had just gotten it on the ground under her when the chick pushed itself out. So, 100% hatch (11/11) A few minutes later I saw one of the new ones out from under her, and she wasn't interested in it going back under. So I checked it and it was cool....and still wet. So I took it and put it under lights, warmed it, gave it Quik Chick with a little sugar added. It became more active, up on its feet walking without apparent defect......and cheeping because it was all alone. So I took it and gave it back to Mama. When she showed no aggression, I put it part way under her and it squirmed itself out of sight. Time will tell, but I am so pleased with the hatch.....and Mama is eating with a vengeance
celebrate.gif

Here are a few of them:

Last edited:
A third chick hatched and the mom kind of left it behind and didn't seem interested in it. I took it in the house and am letting it warm up in the brooder but do you think I should try to put it back under her? This chick is about 12 hours difference of the last one that hatched.

A third chick hatched and the mom kind of left it behind and didn't seem interested in it. I took it in the house and am letting it warm up in the brooder but do you think I should try to put it back under her? This chick is about 12 hours difference of the last one that hatched.
When I put mine back under her, she had two more that were just as new.....so she knew she needed to stay put for a little while. I went back to check on them, and she had moved all of them across the pen, and when they came out, I could tell the newest ones apart from the rest, but couldn't differentiate between the three of them. So she has 11 to raise.

I guess what I would consider doing if I was going to put the chick back with her, I would do it after dark, because she will most likely stay put the rest of the night, and hopefully accept it.

Last edited:
When I put mine back under her, she had two more that were just as new.....so she knew she needed to stay put for a little while. I went back to check on them, and she had moved all of them across the pen, and when they came out, I could tell the newest ones apart from the rest, but couldn't differentiate between the three of them. So she has 11 to raise.

I guess what I would consider doing if I was going to put the chick back with her, I would do it after dark, because she will most likely stay put the rest of the night, and hopefully accept it.
I would want to do it at night too but I also want to know if I put it under her if she will attack it or take care of it and if I just let her have it overnight theres no way of knowing in the morning... so I think maybe dusk would be the best time? I'm not really sure, thanks for the advice though.

I would want to do it at night too but I also want to know if I put it under her if she will attack it or take care of it and if I just let her have it overnight theres no way of knowing in the morning... so I think maybe dusk would be the best time? I'm not really sure, thanks for the advice though.
The one I warmed up and put back was very stressed because it was by itself, so I felt like I needed to put it back if at all possible.

I put mine out in front of her, but part of the chick was tucked under her feathers, and then watched. My broody didn't do anything aggressive, and then the chick went scooting up under her and that was that.

Perhaps doing like I did and put it really close to her just before dark, so you can still see what she does and what it does. If she doesn't show aggression, and the chick snuggles up with her and goes under her, then she will probably be fine.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
The one I warmed up and put back was very stressed because it was by itself, so I felt like I needed to put it back if at all possible.

I put mine out in front of her, but part of the chick was tucked under her feathers, and then watched. My broody didn't do anything aggressive, and then the chick went scooting up under her and that was that.

Perhaps doing like I did and put it really close to her just before dark, so you can still see what she does and what it does. If she doesn't show aggression, and the chick snuggles up with her and goes under her, then she will probably be fine.

Let us know how it goes.
I just did exactly what you said and it went perfect! Thank you! It was super happy to be with her. I'm so glad, it's way less stressful for everyone here! And while I was out there I heard peeping from another nest and my other broody's egg hatched a day early!
love.gif

I went to close the coop up for the night and Lacy and here two chicks, Stanley and Abbey were no where to be found. I freaked out cause I had just put them in with the flock 2 days ago. Turns out that she had gone to roost with the others and the chicks were tucked under each wing. That roost is 3 feet high, but they got up there. So how long will she watch over them? No one seems to care about them at all. They already seem to be part of the flock. 3 weeks old now. Also I know nothing about genetics, my question is. I have all blue wyandottes. so how did I end up with a white chick? Thanks for any info.

Back
Top Bottom