Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

There are a few however. But then he shouldn't be selling chicks either. Mg is what comes to mind first.

But 99% of the time ( according to my friend who has really researched) if they are shedding enough to pass into an egg they are not feeling well enough to lay.

If he is worried take his hint and get your eggs somewhere else and disenfect your shoes if tiu go there...

Thanks Chiquita and hotrod! He was on his cell and the call dropped so I didn't get to ask questions about what he was saying. He said I could try to sneak in day old chicks and see if she would accept them, but that she might not.

Like I said, I absolutely don't want to get my girls sick. However, it seems like this is a common practice to buy hat hing eggs so I'm confused.

Do you vaccinate your chicks after they hatch?

I appreciate the advice. We've had our hens for a year now and just love them. :D

Thanks Chiquita and hotrod! He was on his cell and the call dropped so I didn't get to ask questions about what he was saying. He said I could try to sneak in day old chicks and see if she would accept them, but that she might not.

Like I said, I absolutely don't want to get my girls sick. However, it seems like this is a common practice to buy hat hing eggs so I'm confused.

Do you vaccinate your chicks after they hatch?

I appreciate the advice. We've had our hens for a year now and just love them.
big_smile.png
I don't vaccinate but I am careful about bringing home adult birds and chicks as well. I also don't tell people what town I am in because there is a person that lives a few miles away that lost most of his flock to Coryza and was asking for people in his area to let him come see their setups. It scares the beejesus out of me that he doesn't realize that he can pass the disease on his clothing and shoes.

There are a few however. But then he shouldn't be selling chicks either. Mg is what comes to mind first.

But 99% of the time ( according to my friend who has really researched) if they are shedding enough to pass into an egg they are not feeling well enough to lay.

If he is worried take his hint and get your eggs somewhere else and disenfect your shoes if tiu go there...
2nd this. Also could of had an issue with pollium or typhoid break out. Or got into trouble for not being Cert NPIP if the state requires for hatching eggs. I quarenteen all new birds for quite awhile. New roos I might give a couple hens I can afford to lose. Chicks are kept apart from adults for 3-5 weeks or more. Depends on the coop set up and breeds. My birds have all been on farm, except new chicks this year and ducks for 1-3 years. I know I am either clean or resistant to whatrever they may be carrying (Plan on getting tested and cert in fall).
Shipped hatching egg chicks will be the same 5 week period. No sence killing my flock because some1 elses bad jusgement. Or plan old greed.

BTW Broody hatched so far 8/9 she didn't crush. I will know next time 8 eggs is what she can handle. Gonna go candle last egg now.

Last edited:

thanks, to be honest I'm not a 100% sure what breed she is :) I got her from a guy who breeds and shows chickens, she wasn't good enough so he was re-homing her! She's very happy now that she has some chicks to look after :)

thanks, to be honest I'm not a 100% sure what breed she is :) I got her from a guy who breeds and shows chickens, she wasn't good enough so he was re-homing her! She's very happy now that she has some chicks to look after :)

She looks pretty good. I believe she is a barnvelder. The lacing on her outrageous! Haha. Now if she is a Wyandotte then she wouldn't be gold laced quality.

Last edited:
Okay, so it sounds like the consensus is that if I get hatching eggs there is a chance, even if it's small, that my girls would be exposed to something.

Also, if I get hatching eggs and they hatch successfully, I'll need to keep them separated from my other hen. (I only have two hens- it's a long story. We're accidental chicken owners)

Hmm, not sure if that would be good to keep her alone if Becky had chicks. Maybe I could keep them in the same area. Is keeping the newly hatched chicks separated mainly for protection from other adult birds and germs?

Thanks!

Okay, so it sounds like the consensus is that if I get hatching eggs there is a chance, even if it's small, that my girls would be exposed to something.

Also, if I get hatching eggs and they hatch successfully, I'll need to keep them separated from my other hen. (I only have two hens- it's a long story. We're accidental chicken owners)

Hmm, not sure if that would be good to keep her alone if Becky had chicks. Maybe I could keep them in the same area. Is keeping the newly hatched chicks separated mainly for protection from other adult birds and germs?

Thanks!

Yes. B/c the other hen may try to "re-set" the pecking order with them and end up killing one or two. The broody might even fight to the death over her chicks.

Some hens brood and co brood fine together. Some don't. Some really really don't. You have to see what's up and know the personalities of your broodies .

I separate them out for a few days just in case and watch them unless I have seen them raise chicks together before.

My silkies prefer to sit and raise together. My marans are mixed some don't play well with others. Some co brood exclusively.

I would have the space in case if you and the hens are new at it.

(As for diseases wild birds are a much bigger hazard then chicken eggs. The most dangerous things most chickens do is sot under a tree full of birds)

Back
Top Bottom