Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

What a surprise! I went to the barn this morning and heard peeping. One of my chicks hatched a day early! Has anyone had this happen under a broody? It was still wet and had obviously just hatched. I got a quick peek at the cutie but did not want to disturb the rest of the eggs. It is taking all my will power to leave them be and not keep peeking in!

I have one hen who hatches on day 20 every time.... she has set for 5 hatches and every one hatched day 20... chicks out and all.... A lot of my other hens will begin to hatch day 20, and finish by early day 21. I guess some hens just cook their eggs faster.
idunno.gif

Well... we have more broody news....

we have a total of 5 broodies right now... Rosie has her 3 week olds... Frannie is due next week... Gracie is waiting for eggs and Connie and Bess hatched Friday night to Saturday morning.
... they each hatched 3 chicks

Connie and Bess were raised in the same clutch by one of our broodies last year. They were only 8.5 months old when they went broody themselves... Bess first, then Connie a week or so later. We gave them their eggs at the same time though and set them into their own little area...

This little corner allowed them more quiet time than the main coop area, but they shared it with Rosie and her chicks and the other birds would frequently visit to see what goodies the broodies were hoarding.

Eventually we had hatching and of course they were adorable...
Connie

Bess

As you can tell from the picture above the hens were close together and frequently we heard them 'chatting' back and forth during their brooding time...
Connie's little ones were a few hours ahead of Bess's and hopped out of the nest on their own a bit early to explore.

I guess the little blonde chipmunk figured she'd head to the neighbors to see if they had better snacks...
. Bess was happy to share... and the little black chick was trying to figure out if it was OK to play or not...

DH and I were glad to see the lack of aggression and lack of 'freaking out' with the hens... we knew both were calm birds... but broody hormones aren't to be underestimated.... their tolerance of each other's chicks was making it look like coop accommodations would be easier to figure out.

So... DH went out to open the coop this morning and check on the babies... and came rushing back in asking for the camera... so back out we went, camera in hand while he is telling me about finding.... this....

. I guess the easiest way to handle chicks roaming back and forth between nests is to just join nests!!
They were happy as can be with the chicks running around between the two of them!
But their area really wasn't very large, and since Rosie moved to the main coop area with her little ones we decided to move Connie and Bess to the broody hut. Thankfully these two hens are very cooperative and used to us silly humans doing things... so we moved them and all of the babies into the broody hut and within a few minutes we had this...

and now... hours later... they are still happy as can be... though Mindy is a bit bummed because her view isn't nearly as good now!
lau.gif

and DH says... 'if I'd known they were going to do this I would have gone to Tractor Supply and gotten them more chicks!'....
th.gif

In the picture above Mindy is looking into our 'broody hut' which is built with a front wall which folds up and out of the way for easy cleaning and viewing, the pop door is built into that to allow Mama and chicks access in and out when we want them to be able to.
Broodies can also double as jungle gyms when you have adventurous chicks...

After Frannie hatched the original pair of broodies decided that 3 was even better, so they moved into the broody hutch with her and her 5 chicks... (the previously mentioned wall/door is lifted up out of the way in this pic)

these two groups of chicks were hatched one week apart, but after a few days it didn't matter at all to anyone, all hens take care of any and all babies... I'm not sure if the chicks even realized who their actual 'hatch mama' was anymore.

In the right of this picture is the door/wall of the broody hutch, directly behind the hens is one of the entrance doors into the main chicken area of the coop

a better shot of the 'people/broody' area, with the 2 access doors to the chicken portion of the coop open behind them.

after a few weeks all 3 broodies are still tending the youngsters, though after the chicks were 2 weeks old they were in the main coop and free ranging daily with the entire adult flock.

What a surprise! I went to the barn this morning and heard peeping. One of my chicks hatched a day early! Has anyone had this happen under a broody? It was still wet and had obviously just hatched. I got a quick peek at the cutie but did not want to disturb the rest of the eggs. It is taking all my will power to leave them be and not keep peeking in!
Yes...I often have them hatch on day 20 under a broody hen...I've read a number of other people who remark the same...I even read one article that stated hens tend to hatch in 20 days....presuming all are set at the same time and fresh eggs with favorable environmental conditions (not too warm or cold).

Lady of McCamley

Day 19 for my eggs. Once has a chicken tweeting inside and one has a faint peck sound! Have took the nest box divider out to give her more room but she will make me regret it as she is stupid without it!

Broodies can also double as jungle gyms when you have adventurous chicks...

After Frannie hatched the original pair of broodies decided that 3 was even better, so they moved into the broody hutch with her and her 5 chicks... (the previously mentioned wall/door is lifted up out of the way in this pic)

these two groups of chicks were hatched one week apart, but after a few days it didn't matter at all to anyone, all hens take care of any and all babies... I'm not sure if the chicks even realized who their actual 'hatch mama' was anymore.

In the right of this picture is the door/wall of the broody hutch, directly behind the hens is one of the entrance doors into the main chicken area of the coop

a better shot of the 'people/broody' area, with the 2 access doors to the chicken portion of the coop open behind them.

after a few weeks all 3 broodies are still tending the youngsters, though after the chicks were 2 weeks old they were in the main coop and free ranging daily with the entire adult flock.
I love it!!
love.gif

I have one hen who hatches on day 20 every time.... she has set for 5 hatches and every one hatched day 20... chicks out and all.... A lot of my other hens will begin to hatch day 20, and finish by early day 21. I guess some hens just cook their eggs faster.
idunno.gif

Oh, good to know! The first out is a French Black Copper Marans...I wonder if some breeds develop quicker as well? I will keep peeking in...I feel like an expectant parent pacing in the waiting room!

Our broody is on day 18. She chose to eat nothing at all yesterday, although she had been eating just fine up until then. Do broody hens do lockdown? I made sure she went out for a poop yesterday evening and all was well in that department. Should I make her leave for a poop again today? Should I be more concerned about her not eating? I do plan on continuing to offer food. She does look well, not skinny or anything. This is our first broody, so all advice on how to help her as she gets closer to hatch is welcome. Thanks.

Our broody is on day 18. She chose to eat nothing at all yesterday, although she had been eating just fine up until then. Do broody hens do lockdown? I made sure she went out for a poop yesterday evening and all was well in that department. Should I make her leave for a poop again today? Should I be more concerned about her not eating? I do plan on continuing to offer food. She does look well, not skinny or anything. This is our first broody, so all advice on how to help her as she gets closer to hatch is welcome. Thanks.

If your hen is able to get up and out for potty breaks without your assistance (no door or wire that needs moved to allow her out of the nest) then I would allow her to decide after day 18 or 19.... if she is really easy going then you could encourage her to hop out for a particular tasty treat, but it isn't worth getting her freaked by trying to force her. Just make sure she has water and food within easy reach and allow her to choose. Be prepared with fresh bedding available in case she does broody poo at some point in the nest. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it does once in a while.
As far as eating... ours usually eat pretty well through most of their brood but often reduce amounts the last few days. I will put a small dish with bits of her favorites mixed with chick starter in the nest with the broody, tucked into a corner, sometimes they peck at it, sometimes they don't. If your hen's body condition is good then don't worry unless you notice a change. Fine chopped peanuts and hulled sunflower seeds and finch feed are a few that are easily given and can stay for extended periods without it going bad.

WalMart sells some small metal dishes in the pet department (for like a buck a piece +/-) I think they are intended for cats or kittens but they are a nice size for broody feeding and fitting into the corners of a nest box. I have a few of them in each size, the wider, flatter one I use for the new hatched chicks when they are still in the nest with mama (first 48 hours or so). The little ones can easily run in and out of them as mama begins to teach them how to eat.

HELP!!!! My Rumples cant walk. She hobbles on the back of her hocks. She has been this way for a couple of days that I know of. I just treated her with ivermectin as per my vet and I am going to try and give her scrambled eggs with Vitamin B and D added. I cant lose her. She is trying so hard to keep her babies safe. Thank you!! p/s she has one week old chicks.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom