Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I have a question, what is the rule of thumb for how much space a hen and babies need if they are in an enclosed area? I am sure the size of space needed grows with the growth of the chicks. So how much do they need during the first week and how much when the chicks are 8 weeks old?

I know for grown chickens I have heard the rule of thumb of 4 sq/ft in the coop with 10 sq/ft outside per bird. But I wasn't sure if there was a similar rule for chicks/mama.

My brooder box shares a wall with my main coop, I was thinking of putting in a chicken door between the two with a solid door and a chicken wire door that can be slid in to separate the two if needed. I was thinking the chicken wire door would be nice to let the chicks, older hens see each other but not get to each other, then when the chicks are older I could open the door and let them co-mingle during the day to get adjusted. Any thoughts on this idea?

(there is a man door that is kept closed where you see it say "main coop")

I can't answer your specific question because I don't worry too much about the square footage numbers. I just don't crowd them and they seem to do fine. Guess I'm whatcha call a "casual (or lazy) chicken keeper"! But I do want to know how the heck you keep the whole thing so doggone neat and cute!

Anything that keeps the little'ns separate from the bigguns, but still allows them to see each other, makes later integration into the flock so much easier! Smart thinking! Your door idea sounds just about perfect! I don't know that I'd even bother with the solid door - just the screen or chicken wire should work great! After all, if you ever end up with a broody it will help her get back into the flock as well if they are able to see each other the entire time. Of course, there are lots of folks out there with a lot more experience than I have, so they'll probably have better suggestions.

I think Rebrascora gave some good thoughts as to the possibility that he may be just clinging so close being a "lonely only" that he's being dense to the point of really frustrating mom.

But I personally would watch her if you use her again just in case. I've had hens fledge and make a real point of it, but never drew blood....but I've never locked them in with a single chick they couldn't escape from...I've always let mom out if she shows she is done with the whole brooding thing and they free range with ability to move away if they want. If she has ability to move away, then I would still be a bit leery if she is drawing blood.

Hopefully you can find some hatch mates for the little guy so that he isn't so desperately lonely.

LofMc

i didn't lock them together they got out every day from the brooder to free range but at the end of the day so the other hens couldn't get to the chick starter. I guess it doesn't really matter i'm pretty sure either she killed him or he got eaten I couldn't find him when I went to go put everyone up tonight I haven't been this depressed in a while i'll be putting up pics later after I find my usb connection

i didn't lock them together they got out every day from the brooder to free range but at the end of the day so the other hens couldn't get to the chick starter. I guess it doesn't really matter i'm pretty sure either she killed him or he got eaten I couldn't find him when I went to go put everyone up tonight I haven't been this depressed in a while i'll be putting up pics later after I find my usb connection
I'm sorry...that is so disheartening.
hugs.gif

Lady of McCamley

I have a question, what is the rule of thumb for how much space a hen and babies need if they are in an enclosed area? I am sure the size of space needed grows with the growth of the chicks. So how much do they need during the first week and how much when the chicks are 8 weeks old?

I know for grown chickens I have heard the rule of thumb of 4 sq/ft in the coop with 10 sq/ft outside per bird. But I wasn't sure if there was a similar rule for chicks/mama.

My brooder box shares a wall with my main coop, I was thinking of putting in a chicken door between the two with a solid door and a chicken wire door that can be slid in to separate the two if needed. I was thinking the chicken wire door would be nice to let the chicks, older hens see each other but not get to each other, then when the chicks are older I could open the door and let them co-mingle during the day to get adjusted. Any thoughts on this idea?

That looks like a very nice set up for one broody and as many chicks as she can brood. They'll be very happy there the first week, and possibly second (can't tell dimensions from photo...but eyeballing it I would guess that. I kept my first broody subdivided in the main coop with a 4 foot by 3 foot??? (jeez, I'd have to go measure again)...she (Banty Silkie) and the 5 chicks were great for the first 2 weeks during really lousy weather, then it was time to let them fly literally.

I now have a 4 foot by 4 foot by 7 foot hutch that I can divided in half (so 4 foot by 4 foot by 3 1/2 foot)...which again is great for one LF mother and as many chicks as she can hatch, but I typically do 4 or 5...that lasts for about 1 week, then they need to be let out if I haven't done so already because of inclement weather.

I'm like Blooie...I do more eyeballing than tape measuring.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
4606681404_2da32337f2.jpg
[/URL]
Broody setup by FuffyKing, on Flickr[/img]

This is my broody nursery Mom and babies will be in here until they are around 6 weeks old.

After that they go into a sectioned off bit of the main run. This way the grown up flock can see the little ones, but not get to them and they can all meet through the fence. Momma will tell me when she wants to be a laying hen again, I hope

40490_25012010363.jpg

This is my momma hen taken last year when she was broody and grumpy
What breed is that grumpy broody hen and what did u mix to get her!?!?!

You have a beautiful set up.... and I agree with Lady of McCamley and Blooie, it looks like it will work just fine for what you want to do. I also am not familiar with any specific recommendations for square footage in regards to broody hens. I do follow one guideline though, I always make sure any enclosure I am using allows enough space for a hen to stretch upright and flap her wings. This seems to be a regular activity for my broodies, and they need room to stretch anyway, so keep it in mind with any construction of broody areas.

The design you have used on the visible side of your broody hutch would actually work quite nicely on the other side. One thing would need to be figured out though, if it slides on a track on the bottom you would need to put a 2x4 flat on the floor (or on edge to make it even higher if you use sand or other deep litter). This board is what you would attach the track to. If you don't elevate it a little it will fill with sand/litter/poo in short order and not want to slide. You could avoid the issue by having it hang from the slide track mounted on the top of the frame instead.
Setting up the inside door the same as your other would allow great visibility for integration purposes also.
The other advantage to having a slide door into the main coop will be if you are trying to allow small chicks to have a particular food which you don't want the main flock to plunder. You can simply slide the door only a couple of inches which would let the chicks fit in but not the big birds, this would also allow the chicks a 'safe spot' to run for cover if they feel threatened.

Back
Top Bottom