Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I am going to attempt to move Jessica to a safer nest and see if she will stay in it before I give her eggs....I have been gathering them daily and leaving her on golf balls. I like the idea of putting a circle around the eggs. Do you all.use pencils? I wonder if marker ink is bad for the eggs?

I saw Ebony off her nest a little while ago. I went to check her eggs. She started with eleven eggs. A few days ago I found one out of the nest...I threw it away as , I figured she knew it was bad. When I checked just now there are only six eggs in her nest with no sign of shells or any remains. I think they are due to hatch by the tenth. What happened to her eggs!?? The six eggs were warm.

I saw Ebony off her nest a little while ago. I went to check her eggs. She started with eleven eggs. A few days ago I found one out of the nest...I threw it away as , I figured she knew it was bad. When I checked just now there are only six eggs in her nest with no sign of shells or any remains. I think they are due to hatch by the tenth. What happened to her eggs!?? The six eggs were warm.

I'm new at this but a lot of people say they can put the eggs up under their wings. I would check her and make sure she isn't caring them around trying to move them

I'm new at this but a lot of people say they can put the eggs up under their wings. I would check her and make sure she isn't caring them around trying to move them

Ebony is not going to let me touch her so I guess I need to keep my eyes peeled and see if I can figure out what she is doing...lol...who would have thought so much is involved in chicken keeping.

I am going to attempt to move Jessica to a safer nest and see if she will stay in it before I give her eggs....I have been gathering them daily and leaving her on golf balls. I like the idea of putting a circle around the eggs. Do you all.use pencils? I wonder if marker ink is bad for the eggs?

A non-toxic marker (like a Sharpie) should be ok. Pencil is fine, but is easier to break a thin shell, and can rub off with a vigorous hen.

A non-toxic marker (like a Sharpie) should be ok.  Pencil is fine, but is easier to break a thin shell, and can rub off with a vigorous hen.
A non-toxic marker (like a Sharpie) should be ok.  Pencil is fine, but is easier to break a thin shell, and can rub off with a vigorous hen.

Thank you ....I have the eggs picked out to give her....so I will go ahead and mark them.

That is interesting that given the right enivronment and the appropriate breed that you don't always separate/isolate broody hens when the set. Assuming that there is no aggressive behavior to worry about, won't the hens on their own get confused and try to set on someone elses eggs? Also, if you don't mind how many eggs can the average Silkie cover? thanks again.
It depends on the birds how well they do together. And that depends on the birds, and even the timing of the clutches. I seem to do better if I set both hens with eggs at the same time, rather than have 1 hen go broody, then 2 weeks later another hen go broody.

You have to manipulate your broodies such that you get the right chemistry if you attempt open brooding. I have not done a lot over the past as few of my large fowl girls will tolerate the Silkies, but I am hoping to build a nice little broody stable with the Silkie and 2 Cochins so that communal brooding will be feasible...that would save a lot of working having to segregate, but it is possible with the dividers I have.

It depends on the size of your Silkie, and her spread factor. Usually 5 to 6 large fowl eggs is good for a Silkie. With my old Silkie, she did well with 5. With my new Silkie, I think she is a bit smaller, and 4 is a better number. It also depends upon the weather. In cooler weather hatches, fewer are better as the ones on the edge can get cooler and don't develop well...so maybe only 4 then.,,,again depending upon the size and spread of your Silkie. Put eggs under her, then check to see if she is covering all well. Watch over the next day to see if any eggs seem to be on the edge of the hen peeking through. Remove one if there is.

LofMc

I have a bantam cochin/silkie cross broody with a clutch that is due to hatch tomorrow or Monday. I have kept her within the flock. I have a board that I put across her nest box to stop other hens laying in there. She can get out even with the board in place if she really, really wants to but there is no way other hens could get in. Once a day I remove the board and within a few minutes, she comes out, has a poop, something to eat and a dust bath and then goes back. I am therefore able to supervise her broody break and ensure that she goes back to the right nest and I make sure that hers is the only one with eggs in, by collecting the eggs from the other nests whilst she is out, so that she selects right nest when she comes back. Whilst she is off the nest I replace the board for the 10-20 mins she is out and as soon as she heads back to the nest I open it up and she climbs in and then I place the board back. It's all so really simple and she is very happy with the arrangement. Broody stays as part of the flock, but none of the hens can interfere with her or her nest. She gets lots of dark quiet time on her eggs and when I remove the board, the increased light stimulates her to have a broody break. It works like a treat and I really can't understand why other people allow their other hens to mess with their broody's nest and lay eggs in it..... to me that's not fair to her.They like peace and quiet and dim lighting, not hens climbing on top of them.to lay eggs.

I haven't candled the eggs this time. She is on 7, so it will be a surprise to see if/what she hatches.... this is her second clutch and her first one last year was very successful. I have doubts about the fertility of 3, just because I haven't seen any "action" between the cockerels and those hens but we'll see. Good luck to everyone else awaiting Easter chicks.

Regards

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom