Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I saw a chick!! I tried to see under Ebony and was able to see two shells and grabbed one of them to help clean out the nest. Before she went into full Monster Moody Mommy Mode (MMMM) I saw a tiny chick scurrying about! All I could really tell was it looked black, lol. I hope to get pics soon.

She still had six eggs the last time I saw them. I will be happy even if she has just one chick to mother. I would hate for her to sit that long and be disappointed.

Ebony

Ebony and 1 baby

I think there are only two babies as that is all the shell I found. What happened to the other 9 is a mystery. Maybe she did eat them.....not sure that anything else would have done it....no skunk smell around....no dog barking at night. hmmm.....

I have 18 chickens all pure of different breeds and 4 Khaki Campbell females and no one will sit on eggs. I've sacrificed several dozen eggs hoping one of the girls would go broody but I think the trait has been bred out of many of the breeds. Will be looking for a Silkie or other to take into the flock. Any suggestions for breeds or Xs that are like to sit on and hatch a clutch?

I have 18 chickens all pure of different breeds and 4 Khaki Campbell females and no one will sit on eggs. I've sacrificed several dozen eggs hoping one of the girls would go broody but I think the trait has been bred out of many of the breeds. Will be looking for a Silkie or other to take into the flock. Any suggestions for breeds or Xs that are like to sit on and hatch a clutch?
Went back to page one and found your list. Thank you, -DBWhat are the best broody hens?
Araucana - Frequent Brooder
Australorp - Very Frequent Brooder
Belgian D'Anver - Frequent Brooder
Belgian D'Uccle - Very Frequent Brooder
Brahma - Frequent Brooder
Cochin - Top Notch Brooders
Dominique - Frequent Brooder
Dorking - Very Frequent Brooder
Japanese - Very Frequent Brooder
Java - Frequent Brooder
Marans - Very Frequent Brooder
New Hampshire - Good Brooder
Orpington - Frequent Brooder
Silkie - Top Notch Brooder
Sussex - Good Brooder

Ebony Ebony and 1 baby I think there are only two babies as that is all the shell I found. What happened to the other 9 is a mystery. Maybe she did eat them.....not sure that anything else would have done it....no skunk smell around....no dog barking at night. hmmm.....
Well, I saw four chicks a while ago and an egg! She had moved the egg outside of the nest when she took the chicks out. If it does not hatch soon I will throw it out. She did bring them outside but was not up showing them how to eat and drink. Maybe because of that unhatched egg?

Back
Top Bottom