Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I wish you the best----Hope you can get some babies. This is the main reason I move All My Broodies. I move each one to a private pen. I had so many problems before I started moving them. Good Luck!!

Just went out and checked an heard peeps! She has at least one little chick, which is wonderful. Meanwhile, in the other nest box, there were three chickens: the broody, and two other LF hens trying to lay. :rolleyes:

How did you go about trying to move her? I have moved probably 45 in the last year----only one acted up(I scared her) so I put her back-----then moved her again 2 days later----no problem.

I tried to move her when she went broody initially, put her in a decent size critter cage, with her golf balls and food and water. I placed in on the porch against a wall with a blanket over half of it so she would feel secure. She freaked out and after a day, I let her out and she ran right back to her nest. Since I don't "need" more chickens, I just want her to hatch out some chicks so that she will get it out of her system. And it's just too darn cute!

I'm so glad at least she has one. And here sister is sitting on a clutch too. :) it is her sisters first time, so we will see if she knows what she's doing. :lol:

Hatched on Wednesday morning...finally got a picture with all 3 babies & mom :)

I have a question I have 1 broody in her own cage. This cage is a little 2 nesting box coop with a small run attached. Her eggs are do to hatch here in about 4 days. I have another hen that went broody about 1 week ago. Can I but this second broody in with the first one? Would the sound of hatching chicks make her stop being broody?

I doubt it would make her stop but when I put 2 of mine in a coop together they fought terrible. I ended up dividing the coop which was a pain to feed and water!

I am so frustrated with Broody #2. I only have 1 Black Copper Marans hen--who rarely lays. It was a huge stroke of luck to collect 8 eggs from her within a suitable timeframe for hatching. I've been trying to hatch more Marans in the incubator and after two large batches I have lots of chicks from other breeds and only 1 Marans (which ended up with crooked toes, so I won't keep). The BCM hen never lays eggs in time for them to make it into the bator.

So I was really getting my hopes up about these eight eggs. After a successful broody hatch #1, I thought it would be a great idea.

The hen is uncooperative and keeps moving nests. She has broken/eaten FIVE of her eggs in the last week. She's on Day 12 and only three remain. She's a year old and have no idea where she got the egg-eating habit, but I hate when they do that. Yolk all over the other eggs. I'm pretty sure it's her. She defies the partition method so I can't be 100% positive.

I have three batches of chicks of different ages. I cannot raise another batch by myself, which is why I need the hen to do it. Regardless I think her eggs have to go in the bator.

About the egg-eating: my laying hens are clumsy and do break eggs sometimes. I've had true 'egg-eaters' before but it seems that some of my broody hens have adopted the habit of doing it occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom