Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I have 17 chicks that are 3 weeks old. A few of them have runny poop. Is this normal? They eat a whole seed feed that is soaked overnight and blended to make the bits smaller. They have been outside on grass once sort of..They barely left the box. Today I put out the more robust chicks outside in a cage set on plywood. I was cleaning their box every other day but have started to clean it daily as it stinks!!. The inside conditions are getting crowded. And the larger ones will be spending more time outside. They all seem to be eating and drinking and they look healthy.
Do they need any medication to stop the diarrhea?

2nd question has anyone ever had a chick with a tail that bobs? When it sits on my shoulder its breathing sounds a little rattly. I named it Mini since it is 1/2 the size of the other hatch mates. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Ok, I am a bit confused. I have a broody buff. She was sitting on a couple eggs and continued to lay until there were about 11. She continued to stay on the nest while she continued to lay. Could this be a result of why I had one to hatch on Thursday and 3 more on Friday evening or early Saturday? I went out to check on her this morning and to discard any eggs that hasn't hatched(because I figure time is up). She is still sitting tight on the nest. I removed her and started to gather the eggs, The first one that I picked up has a little pip. I listened to see if I could hear anything and didn't and thought to myself that there is no way any of those eggs could be viable. So I go to pick up another egg and exam it for any pips and there is nothing. I thought I herd something so I put it against my hear and I can hear a little chirp. I thought there is no way, but I put the two eggs back in the nest and she is sitting tight again. I guess she could tell that there is still life there. So my question is: Is this normal? The first chick that hatched is 5 days old as of today.

Ok, I am a bit confused. I have a broody buff. She was sitting on a couple eggs and continued to lay until there were about 11. She continued to stay on the nest while she continued to lay. Could this be a result of why I had one to hatch on Thursday and 3 more on Friday evening or early Saturday? I went out to check on her this morning and to discard any eggs that hasn't hatched(because I figure time is up). She is still sitting tight on the nest. I removed her and started to gather the eggs, The first one that I picked up has a little pip. I listened to see if I could hear anything and didn't and thought to myself that there is no way any of those eggs could be viable. So I go to pick up another egg and exam it for any pips and there is nothing. I thought I herd something so I put it against my hear and I can hear a little chirp. I thought there is no way, but I put the two eggs back in the nest and she is sitting tight again. I guess she could tell that there is still life there. So my question is: Is this normal? The first chick that hatched is 5 days old as of today.
There are 2 answers given on the other thread....

Today my 8 year old broddy's eggs started hatching a day earlier... 10 so far and 5 more pipped... I think olny one egg out of 16 won't hatch... I shall check on her tomorrow! And will update with pics!

Did you let her keep the eggs she was laying? Or other eggs that other chickens were laying in her nest? This can cause a very staggered hatch.

Did you let her keep the eggs she was laying? Or other eggs that other chickens were laying in her nest? This can cause a very staggered hatch.

I let her keep them, which now I know wasn't the best idea. We have had a lot of storms and I didn't go out to check on her for a couple days and when I went to move her to her own little area I just took what she was already sitting on and put them in the new area. Still new at having a broody and learning every day. Defiantly want let it happen again. I do have another broody that is due to hatch at the end of the week, should I let her have the new ones?

I let her keep them, which now I know wasn't the best idea. We have had a lot of storms and I didn't go out to check on her for a couple days and when I went to move her to her own little area I just took what she was already sitting on and put them in the new area. Still new at having a broody and learning every day. Defiantly want let it happen again. I do have another broody that is due to hatch at the end of the week, should I let her have the new ones?

I would wait and see how she handles it. Mine although were given at the same time had a few days (5) difference. I almost tossed them but some people on this thread said just wait and let her decide. Move the food and water close to her so the chicks can get to it. Mine did great. She got off just enough to show the new ones to eat and then went back to her eggs. All hatched and are doing great :)

Well, basically entered lock down for my LF cochin. She started with 17 eggs. I pulled one clear at 10 days and she has broken 4 of them. Hopefully what is left will hatch. A few eggs have quite a lot of yolk dried on them, but this late in the game I don't think it would be smart to try to clean them up. It is what it is, I guess.

I've heard some people mention that LF cochins are clumsy and have also had broken egg issues. Anyone else? This is her first time, and honestly the main reason I got LF cochins--- to brood big clutches. It will be interesting to see what comes of this hatch.

Back
Top Bottom