Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Well, on broody hen number three right now. First we had a Sussex who was our test brooder. First one who went broody and we learned a lot from letting her sit on 5 eggs. We felt confident when our second hen went broody just after the first one broke her broodiness. This one went smoothly for it being one of our younger hens who's breed isn't known for going broody. She hatched two out of two eggs a couple of weeks ago and the chicks are enjoying exploring the run with the rest of the flock. While she was sitting, a third hen went broody. Here is where we have a new situation. She was given two eggs. 20 days later, one of the two eggs hatched. Since that was a day earlier than expected, we have left momma with chick and second egg. We are now at day 23 and the second egg still hasn't hatched. Do I consider this one a dud now and remove it? Or is there a chance that it may just be late in hatching. I can see mom already getting anxious to get out of her box and go exploring with chick. Thoughts?
Jerry

Hi I'm having my first hatch started last Friday seven days ago with my hand and it's her first hatch she just hatched another one last night how do I know if the egg she's sitting on her still viable it seems like a long duration between but she hasn't stopped sitting on them
You have one hatch 7 days ago, you might have to wait seven more. What is you hurry? Either she just wants to stay broody or you hve time to wait. Wont hurt anything.

Well, on broody hen number three right now. First we had a Sussex who was our test brooder. First one who went broody and we learned a lot from letting her sit on 5 eggs. We felt confident when our second hen went broody just after the first one broke her broodiness. This one went smoothly for it being one of our younger hens who's breed isn't known for going broody. She hatched two out of two eggs a couple of weeks ago and the chicks are enjoying exploring the run with the rest of the flock. While she was sitting, a third hen went broody. Here is where we have a new situation. She was given two eggs. 20 days later, one of the two eggs hatched. Since that was a day earlier than expected, we have left momma with chick and second egg. We are now at day 23 and the second egg still hasn't hatched. Do I consider this one a dud now and remove it? Or is there a chance that it may just be late in hatching. I can see mom already getting anxious to get out of her box and go exploring with chick. Thoughts?
Jerry
She could definitely be cutting short that eggs life. Incubate. Hen is not sitting if she is protective now of her new baby. I wish you luck. I would not put my new chick in with my free range until maybe 2 or even 3 months. They still come inside my sunroom at night because my roosters could kill them. We have a mama raccoon and kit in the next lot. I am even scared to leave my home in the day. I hope this helps.

She could definitely be cutting short that eggs life. Incubate. Hen is not sitting if she is protective now of her new baby. I wish you luck. I would not put my new chick in with my free range until maybe 2 or even 3 months. They still come inside my sunroom at night because my roosters could kill them. We have a mama raccoon and kit in the next lot. I am even scared to leave my home in the day. I hope this helps.

Thanks Kilby. Actually, we only keep the chicks isolated with mom for a week and they we let them go out in the flock for a couple hours a day, increasing the amount of time they spend out there as the days go on. This has worked wonderfully with the last set. Within a month, momma cut them off from her care and let them fend for themselves. we usually do lock them up during the night and feed them seperately in the mornings so that the big ones don't eat all the food on them first.

Hi I'm having my first hatch started last Friday seven days ago with my hand and it's her first hatch she just hatched another one last night how do I know if the egg she's sitting on her still viable it seems like a long duration between but she hasn't stopped sitting on them

You have one hatch 7 days ago, you might have to wait seven more.  What is you hurry?  Either she just wants to stay broody or you hve time to wait.  Wont hurt anything.

My concern was the health of my hen because she wasn't getting up and just sitting on them and I was afraid at being over 21 days of nonexercise she wouldnt even leave them to eat or drink I had to put the food and water next to her but then my new concern was as the new babies are hatching she and the older chicks were moving more and that's what happened with the new hatch last night they broke its neck so that was my concern I should've taken the last baby out but I didn't have an incubator it was a blue silkie :(

Hi all,
I have a silkie who went broody about 5 days ago. The last time she went broody I tired to move her and she abandoned them. She decided to go broody in a corner of the coop as well as many of the other hens. So I have other hens laying near her and she keeps collecting eggs. The other problem is The roosters keep hopping on her as she is laying on her eggs. So my question is, can I put protective fencing or a cage around her with her own separate food ad watet? Also, will touching the eggs make her stop laying on them? The last time, I think because she kept collecting eggs as well as the rooster problem, she had an egg break. If you guys can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

My concern was the health of my hen because she wasn't getting up and just sitting on them and I was afraid at being over 21 days of nonexercise she wouldnt even leave them to eat or drink I had to put the food and water next to her but then my new concern was as the new babies are hatching she and the older chicks were moving more and that's what happened with the new hatch last night they broke its neck so that was my concern I should've taken the last baby out but I didn'thave an incubator it was a blue silkie
sad.png
why do people think they need an incubator per say. Build one and they will come. Plastic tote is what I use for the chicks, Min /max thermometer, shavings, turn every four hours. I had a homicidal hen so if I did not have broodies this is what I would do.
My friend who helped me with the last chick just took his broody out once a day say half an hour or eventwo hours where the food and water was. My chick was on time. If it is colder maybe just put a 100 watt bulb at the appropriate distance to achieve the correct temp until she gets back. I understand this is too little too late. First time broody I had stayed put for 23 days and I let her once when she asked, calling out like she is going stir crazy in the cage.
Concerned about your hen or the chick? They are all important.
When she hatched all from her first nesting day she ignored the extras and they were pushed out to die. Four of those hatched under someone else. Live and learn, things happen. Cheers
I thought you just asked if the egg was viable.

Last edited:
I just want to tell you thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am extremely knew to BYC but am loving it. Then I wind up with with a broody brown leghorn, named Maxine, named by my husband. I purchased some fertile eggs and she is sitting like a pro BUT I don't, didn't know what to do. Thanks to you and the link you suggested, I feel better equipped, info wise, to do this. I love the frankness with which the article was written and feel like this person, didn't pay attention to gender there, knows what's what with chickens. Thanks, again. Glad I stayed up late trying to gather info!!!

I just want to tell you thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am extremely knew to BYC but am loving it. Then I wind up with with a broody brown leghorn, named Maxine, named by my husband. I purchased some fertile eggs and she is sitting like a pro BUT I don't, didn't know what to do. Thanks to you and the link you suggested, I feel better equipped, info wise, to do this. I love the frankness with which the article was written and feel like this person, didn't pay attention to gender there, knows what's what with chickens. Thanks, again. Glad I stayed up late trying to gather info!!!

I too am so grateful to BYC for all the great information. I also gave eggs to my broody and spent a lot of time on this forum learning about broodies and setting eggs. My broody hatched all five eggs that I gave her! They are now five weeks old and doing great. Good luck with Maxine and her brood!

Hey I have 2 eggs under my Rhode Island and she lives on her own (her friend died) I will she be ok to live with her chicks for the rest of her life or will I have to separate them

Back
Top Bottom