Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Hello All!

My OEGB/Sebright hen is driving me nuts! :oops:

I rescued her and her two sisters when they were around 12 weeks old or so. They began laying in December. By the time February hit? *poof* all three sisters went broody.
The original broody hen was Dixie, but her sisters seen how she was doing it and Trixie and Pixie decided they would do even better. A dozen and a half eggs later, :rolleyes: I found the two evil twin Broodies and removed their hoard of eggs.

I caved and ordered three chicks. I figured each hen could raise one. Well, the chicks arrived early April and Dixie had already been sitting for four weeks. When the chicks arrived she threw in the towel. Her sisters figured it wasn't fun anymore either. So who raised the chicks? Me!

Those three babies are now 17 weeks old or so. And Dixie is still relentlessly broody. She just won't quit and now she is showing signs of malnourishment. She is very skinny.

Are there any treat suggestions to help her gain weight?
My coop is at max capacity so I would prefer no more chicks. How can I stop this broody craze once and for all?

Hello All!

My OEGB/Sebright hen is driving me nuts!
hide.gif

I rescued her and her two sisters when they were around 12 weeks old or so. They began laying in December. By the time February hit? *poof* all three sisters went broody.
The original broody hen was Dixie, but her sisters seen how she was doing it and Trixie and Pixie decided they would do even better. A dozen and a half eggs later,
roll.png
I found the two evil twin Broodies and removed their hoard of eggs.

I caved and ordered three chicks. I figured each hen could raise one. Well, the chicks arrived early April and Dixie had already been sitting for four weeks. When the chicks arrived she threw in the towel. Her sisters figured it wasn't fun anymore either. So who raised the chicks? Me!

Those three babies are now 17 weeks old or so. And Dixie is still relentlessly broody. She just won't quit and now she is showing signs of malnourishment. She is very skinny.

My coop is at max capacity so I would prefer no more chicks. How can I stop this broody craze once and for all?
If you put her is a wire dog crate without the tray it will be uncomfortable to sleep and lay eggs in so that might stop her. I heard someone put a bucket over the chicken for a day. Old wives tale maybe but I would not want to live in a bucket. or under. My spring broody lost half her weight and is still tiny but her health is fine egg laying wise. I take them aside and give treats like raw ground meat (semi cooked if you prefer) they need their iron back. Boiled egg, sprouted grains(very nutritious), liver, organic cooked rice. Enough time to eat all they want by themselves before they have to go out and fight for their food or work for it. Calcium like yogurt, milk, cottage cheese would be good for their leeched bones. I give my flock Nutri drench and Vet RX to keep their immunity up. hope that helps.

hmm I have 3 hens sharing brooding duty, they have been on the same 5 eggs , they are at least consistent and it's interesting all 3 are still laying in another nest, eating fine and getting some exercise before they switch which hen is sitting on the eggs, and are smart or mad at the rooster, they pluck his feathers to line the nest. Don't have a candler but used a high power work light we borrowed and checked the eggs, looks like big mass in the egg that you cannot see through so they should be close. First noticed a hen staying on them on July 26th. but didn't think to much about it until she wouldn't let us near the nesting box.

How long will a hen keep sitting on eggs once the first baby has hatched?

Usually the hen waits till the chick is a day old and moving around well, some will stay on the nest for remaining eggs for 3 days, and in rare cases even longer but it is not normal. chicks can go for a max of three days after hatch without feed and water but I prefer to see them getting out for at least water on the second day.
Avoid 'staggered' hatches by setting all eggs at once or by removing any added later after the hen starts setting. also a good idea to have a back up plan to finish incubating any eggs if they are still viable after she leaves the nest.

Hello All!

My OEGB/Sebright hen is driving me nuts!
hide.gif

The original broody hen was Dixie, but her sisters seen how she was doing it and Trixie and Pixie decided they would do even better. A dozen and a half eggs later,
roll.png
I found the two evil twin Broodies and removed their hoard of eggs.

The best way of helping Dixie to gain weight is to stop the current cycle of broodiness.

A suspended wire crate is one of the most favoured (with no bedding) options. The wire crate, because it is so exposed, will help to reduce her body temperature and in doing so, should stop the broodiness. But, like any intervention, once you start then continue with it for a few days. Don't stop it if it doesn't work after the first day! Or you can place freezer packs under her.

In terms of getting Dixie to put on weight, what is her favourite snack? I think we all have our own list of foods that we feed our chickens. Like us, carbohydrates and proteins will help with weight gain. My flock love cooked rice and they love cooked vegetable peelings. They go wild for cooked spaghetti and melon seeds. As chickens are omnivores, they will happily eat any meat scraps (obviously not chicken.) What are the food treats that your flock tend to adore?

I candled eggs last night... It is SO amazing to peek inside and see a little baby chick growing! I wanted to call a friend! It's so neat, to see the blood vessels and a little embryo floating around in there. She is sitting on 14 eggs, I think most are fertile. :eek:. I can't wait for the little peeps! We have two other hens that are sharing 3 chicks, and I still am looking forward to hatch day. I may have a problem...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My broody hen hatched out 1 baby on the 15th so I decided to give her more babies and that way her lonely chick would have buddies but she rejected the other chicks. I tried adding 5 four day olds and now one of them is wounded and he keeps scratching his head where the wound is, now that it's dry. How can I help his wound from itching?

I have a hen that has decided she wants to sit on eggs today. I got 2 eggs from under her because I want to wait a few days until I let her sit. My question is: She has been on these 2 eggs today, not sure exactly how long but I collect in the evenings. Have these eggs already started developing? Will they be okay to put under her next week?

I candled eggs last night... It is SO amazing to peek inside and see a little baby chick growing! I wanted to call a friend! It's so neat, to see the blood vessels and a little embryo floating around in there. She is sitting on 14 eggs, I think most are fertile.
ep.gif
. I can't wait for the little peeps! We have two other hens that are sharing 3 chicks, and I still am looking forward to hatch day. I may have a problem...
roll.png
We Know
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom