Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Good point! I am fine here with doing that but I will take that into consideration from now on. I am expecting 2-3 more to hatch. Thanks for the luck.

Stryker, I am talking about the last 3 days----like Lock-down in the incubator---Some people says their hens get off their nest even while the eggs are pipping----none of mine get off the nest the last 2/3 days and its during that time that I am talking about---hands off from me for my broodies.

2 chicks hatched yesterday, right on time! But this morning one was dead--hubby thinks it was smothered. Could a first time mama smother chicks by accident? I'm not home, and super worried about the remaining baby.

2 chicks hatched yesterday, right on time! But this morning one was dead--hubby thinks it was smothered. Could a first time mama smother chicks by accident? I'm not home, and super worried about the remaining baby.

It is absolutely possible for them to accidentally smother, especially with a large fowl hen in the first couple of days. It is sad to see, and thankfully not frequent. The just don't toddle out of the way of the hens legs when she lays down.
It is especially common in the first day or two when the hen is still transitioning from egg sitting mode to mama mode, she is trying to stay tight down on eggs to maintain humidity and temp and sometimes the chicks get smothered without her realizing. A first time broody would be more prone to this type of accident.

The risk for smothering is higher when you give hens eggs due to hatch when she is still early in her broody cycle or when someone grafts day old chicks when she is early yet. This is the reason I prefer a hen be at least 14 days into her brood before giving them chicks or eggs ready to hatch....

Thanks, fisherlady. Sad, but I guess it's just one of those things that happens. She had been broody for 31 days, so that definitely wasn't the issue, but good to keep in mind for the future. Hopefully she will be satisfied with her one baby chick!

It is absolutely possible for them to accidentally smother, especially with a large fowl hen in the first couple of days. It is sad to see, and thankfully not frequent. The just don't toddle out of the way of the hens legs when she lays down.
It is especially common in the first day or two when the hen is still transitioning from egg sitting mode to mama mode, she is trying to stay tight down on eggs to maintain humidity and temp and sometimes the chicks get smothered without her realizing. A first time broody would be more prone to this type of accident.

The risk for smothering is higher when you give hens eggs due to hatch when she is still early in her broody cycle or when someone grafts day old chicks when she is early yet. This is the reason I prefer a hen be at least 14 days into her brood before giving them chicks or eggs ready to hatch....

AAACCKK!!! I never considered the possibility. (Yes, I went outside to check. They're both fine and way cute.) Another example why BYC is great! You can read lots of books and articles to prepare yourself, but info from the experienced chicken keepers can't all be covered. Thank you fisherlady and all you folks for sharing your knowledge.

With the helpful advice from y'all on this thread, this first time chicken owner used a broody hen (OE - first time for her) to hatch two chicks this week: one EE and one BLRW. I've never had chicks. I got my three hen's as two young pullets and a matron hen. The two were great layers until they went broody this spring. So I took advantage of it and.....

Your chicks are adorable! So excited for you!! :)

Your chicks are adorable! So excited for you!! :)

Thanks, lorelei71221. I think the EE chick's color has already changed. I found an old thread that compared EEs to Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. The chicks were documented with periodic photos while growing up and the colors changed dramatically. So you truly "never know what you're going to get".

Back
Top Bottom