Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Brahma mama #2, grafting success, 6 leghorns added last night.

Had two broody Marans hatch on same day this week. They had nests on opposite side of same area. I monitored closely in case there was any squabbling. Much to my surprise, one hem moved herself right next to the other that still had 2 eggs to go. They have been wonderfully co-mothering their 14 total chicks.

Last edited:
Here's a picture.
[/IMG]

Awesome! It can work and it sounds like your setup allowed them a great way to take things at their own pace. :thumbsup

I like having hens hatch in pairs when feasible, if their boxes are in the same area we often have adventurous chicks roaming back and forth to visit the 'neighbors' before the hens even get up with them...but remember that this is with birds I have experienced brooding with before, care and monitoring should always be used when working with new broodies...every situation is different and not all hens are laid back enough to allow this.

Had two broody Marans hatch on same day this week. They had nests on opposite side of same area. I monitored closely in case there was any squabbling. Much to my surprise, one hem moved herself right next to the other that still had 2 eggs to go. They have been wonderfully co-mothering their 14 total chicks.

Both times my Marans have gone broody I've had two go within a day of each other and they always stay right by each other. I tried moving them the first time (long story short they both set up camp in the same nest box and two birds do NOT fit in one box) but they kept moving back in with the other hen so I just removed the box so they'd have more room.

Help!
First time broody and owner. Today is hatching day, and I was excited, but now I feel scared I messed up. The mama pushed out this half hatched little one. The research I've done says to not help until last resort, but when is that? Or should I just wait and see if nature takes its own course? It's been 2 hrs so far she hasn't moved it back under her...
TIA!

Slight disclaimer because this is the third time today I'm posting this....I'm really worried and my son is like an anxious Papa. Here's the tragic poo story.

omg what an afternoon! Our broody girl has 11 eggs under her and for whatever reason she moved them to the center of the crate last week, but still laying on them. problem was, with the plastic tray under her the bedding moved aside and her legs couldn't grip so she was laying get in the splits. I kept thinking she would work it out now but no. Today she stood up but pretty much wobbled on a circle and then sat down and pooped something nasty....like dead things nasty, my nose hath been assaulted! So the eggs and she had poo everywhere. We are at day 21! I made her a cardboard box with and opening, put in new bedding (thinking that would help with her eggs), tried to clean her and cut off nasty feathers....between gags and wiped the eggs with a wet warm rag. I tried not to turn or handle the eggs much.....anything else I need to do? So worried about the eggs, the list Brahma belongs to my son and he's been so excited...ugh

Back
Top Bottom