Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Today is day 21, I now have 10 baby chicks and 3 eggs that are still unhatched. Question....once momma is done hatching eggs, how long will she stay in nest ? Her nest is a layer box about 2 ft off the ground. I'm new at this, how does she get them down or do I?

Last edited:
Today is day 21, I now have 10 baby chicks and 3 eggs that are still unhatched. Question....once momma is done hatching eggs, how long will she stay in nest ? Her nest is a layer box about 2 ft off the ground. I'm new at this, how does she get them down or do I?

When the chicks become active and are looking for food and water, the hen will leave the nest. Two feet is not a lot for chicks to jump without being hurt. However, I'd move hen, chicks, and any eggs to hatch to ground level. It does not need to be the layer box; any very low sided container will do, or no container at all. Just make a nest on the floor and move the family to it. If you can see that the remaining eggs are not going to hatch, discard them. If they are good, hopefully, they will hatch during the night.

I've been following your thread. Congrats on 10 hatched eggs. I have a hen sitting on 13 eggs and I will be gone when they start hatching. Not sure how many I will get.

I am new at this too. Please keep us posted how everything goes. I would love to see photos of momma and her babies.

Good luck.

Hey Dawnpel sorry but haven't been on in a while and trying to get caught up with everyone, I had the same situation, I had to move momma and chicks, I was afraid they would get hurt if I hey tried to jump. I modified a large dog crate into a broody pen. But if you remember she was quite nasty. I remembered my days with horses and I got a soft blanket and quickly covered her and picked her up. Needless to say, she was furious about it, but got ov r it as soon as I got all her babies with her.

Hopefully this posts....pics of my baby chicks

Babies are all doing good. I have them in a separate pen from the rest of the flock but the big girls can see them. I made a small fenced off area where momma can take them outside. They really love pecking at the ground. Its interesting to watch momma teach them different things.

Back
Top Bottom