Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

All 9/9 eggs that our broody was sitting on hatched and are doing well! Unfortunately, the pure Ameraucanas we were hoping for are looking more like Easter Eggers at this point. Oh well, they're still adorable! There's one chick that's worrying me a little bit, but that's a matter for another thread. It was a fun experience to have eggs hatch at home for the first time- we're going to try and do it again if we get another broody eventually.

These are 5 week old mix from a Sultan hen and Silver Spangled Spitzhauben rooster. Hoping they are girls. Two of them have more narrow head feathering. One has a more poofy do. I can see NO sign of combs on any. Time will tell. I hope the keep their patterning. I will be cool to have spangled Sultans with 5 toes and blue legs!

These are 5 week old mix from a Sultan hen and Silver Spangled Spitzhauben rooster. Hoping they are girls. Two of them have more narrow head feathering. One has a more poofy do. I can see NO sign of combs on any. Time will tell. I hope the keep their patterning. I will be cool to have spangled Sultans with 5 toes and blue legs!
Oh my goodness
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
such pretty babies!!! What an interesting cross!

I don't have any Roos, but by cuckoo Maran just starting sitting in the coop in the place when all the hens tend to lay. She stays there all day and if the other girls attempt to enter the coop they get hissed at. I decided to take her out of the coop and isolate her from the other girls. The other are not laying at all.
I'm wondering how long should she be isolated, and even if she should be isolated.
My thinking was to take her out so the other can lay, but they are not. Now they are molting so I guess it's stress now.

I don't have any Roos, but by cuckoo Maran just starting sitting in the coop in the place when all the hens tend to lay. She stays there all day and if the other girls attempt to enter the coop they get hissed at. I decided to take her out of the coop and isolate her from the other girls. The other are not laying at all.
I'm wondering how long should she be isolated, and even if she should be isolated.
My thinking was to take her out so the other can lay, but they are not. Now they are molting so I guess it's stress now.

No need to isolate her, but you need a crate or bird cage with airflow through the bottom to keep her cool so she goes out of hatch mode

Back
Top Bottom