Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

DH is calling those chicks the "millennials" because they're still living with Mom & Dad on the top roost. Normally the chicks are brooded by a bantam & assume her lower status. When she leaves them, they stay around the edges of the flock & do not interact with the adults. They sleep on the lowest roost or in a nestbox (Ugh! I hate that!)

These millennial chicks are 8 wks & still on the top roost. They are in the middle of it all & 1st in line to grab the best treats.

Millenials is the perfect name for them! They are getting a real boost in their start in the flock, some will retain the boost, others will slide down in the pecking order once the mama hen cuts them loose. Either way they are getting a good start!

Co parenting at its finest! Two hens hatched three chicks and are wonderful co-parents!

Help I have 7 eggs under my broody hen and I'm wondering should I lift the hen off the eggs to get the non fertile eggs because I'm working and not always around to get them when she goes off the to feed

Need some advice please!! I had some (12) eggs hand delivered that were already started under a hen and 6 that were not started ( these went into the incubator). But from candling the one egg that would not fit under my broody Pullet (she just went broody on Friday) i find that it might be a lot farther along than was believed. From looking at this pic below will it hatch too soon for my hen to be ok with chicks or should i put some of the eggs that i just started on Sunday under the hen? Also how far along do you think this egg is? I am new to the incubator and broody hatching and hatching at all.

Need some advice please!! I had some (12) eggs hand delivered that were already started under a hen and 6 that were not started ( these went into the incubator). But from candling the one egg that would not fit under my broody Pullet (she just went broody on Friday) i find that it might be a lot farther along than was believed. From looking at this pic below will it hatch too soon for my hen to be ok with chicks or should i put some of the eggs that i just started on Sunday under the hen? Also how far along do you think this egg is? I am new to the incubator and broody hatching and hatching at all.
To me I would guess the egg in the pic is around day 14. Most Broodies will go into looking after the chicks if they have been on the eggs for at least 6 days, because the final stages of development of the chicks react with the hen to shift the hormones. If you're really worried about it swap out the eggs so the hen has all eggs from Sunday and put all the pre-started ones in the incubator.

To me I would guess the egg in the pic is around day 14.

Most Broodies will go into looking after the chicks if they have been on the eggs for at least 6 days, because the final stages of development of the chicks react with the hen to shift the hormones.

If you're really worried about it swap out the eggs so the hen has all eggs from Sunday and put all the pre-started ones in the incubator.

Awesome thank you so much!!
Next question: my lovely broody decided to switch nests some time durring the day. The eggs were cold but I gave them back to her in the nest she was sitting on. I told my husband that tomorrow when he sees her out of the coop he needs to go remove the eggs in all nest boxes except for the ones that are marked so she will go back to those ones.

The question is are those eggs (14 days about) still going to be ok?

Awesome thank you so much!!
Next question: my lovely broody decided to switch nests some time durring the day. The eggs were cold but I gave them back to her in the nest she was sitting on. I told my husband that tomorrow when he sees her out of the coop he needs to go remove the eggs in all nest boxes except for the ones that are marked so she will go back to those ones.

The question is are those eggs (14 days about) still going to be ok?
My hen also got confused (or kicked off) once. The eggs were cool, but I simply put her back into the right nest. All the eggs still hatched.

Back
Top Bottom