Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

this is her first at being broody she is sitting on 11 eggs

Thanks! I have really had to keep an eye on this momma, and unfortunately we lost 3 chicks, but it would have been 9 if I wasn't out there constantly observing. She is the first prejudice hen I have had. I hope that is not a Brahma trait... my next one is a Brahma as well, and I would prefer not to add to the inside brooder.

Definitely not a brahma trait, I breed exhibition bantam brahmas and my girls are the best mamas. Take chicks all the time, even during the day. I hatch some under them, then stick a bunch more from the incubator.

Definitely not a brahma trait, I breed exhibition bantam brahmas and my girls are the best mamas. Take chicks all the time, even during the day. I hatch some under them, then stick a bunch more from the incubator.

That is good to know. I keep saying perhaps it is because of her youth and inexperience, but I have two other mommas the same age, different breeds, and neither of them rejected any chicks. I have heard and read so often about what excellent mothers Brahmas are, so I was excited to see how they are with their babies, only to then end up with so much tragedy from this one. She does take good care of the six that she chose to keep.

Last edited:
That is good to know. I keep saying perhaps it is because of her youth and inexperience, but I have two other mommas the same age, different breeds, and neither of them rejected any chicks. I have heard and read so often about what excellent mothers Brahmas are, so I was excited to see how they are with their babies, only to then end up with so much tragedy from this one. She does take good care of the six that she chose to keep.

It's usually upbringing that causes hens to reject chicks. If they are not like what she could see around her during her first 6 weeks then they usually thing it's am imposter not a chicken, and try to make it go away.
If the chicks are raised in a multi breed or multi species environment then as hens then will accept a far greater range of chicks as their babies.

It's usually upbringing that causes hens to reject chicks. If they are not like what she could see around her during her first 6 weeks then they usually thing it's am imposter not a chicken, and try to make it go away.
If the chicks are raised in a multi breed or multi species environment then as hens then will accept a far greater range of chicks as their babies.

That definitely is not it here. This hen was raised with Brahmas, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, and Black Sex Links, all hatched the same day and raised together in one brooder. Also, for a couple weeks, there were 3 Dominiques, and 3 others that I can not remember (those 6 were not ours, we only kept them for someone else for that period of time). So there was a variety of different looking chicks.

That definitely is not it here. This hen was raised with Brahmas, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, and Black Sex Links, all hatched the same day and raised together in one brooder. Also, for a couple weeks, there were 3 Dominiques, and 3 others that I can not remember (those 6 were not ours, we only kept them for someone else for that period of time). So there was a variety of different looking chicks.

Okay. Don't know then.

There is a difference between LF and bantam. Bantam fabulous moms, but LF have a more difficult time.

Back
Top Bottom