Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

It has a little stuffed bunny about the same size as it. But it likes the tissue better
I use a stuffed animal too for chicks that I get that don't have a mom. They love it. TSC used to sell stuffed chickens, and those were the best! For this brood of babies I got from the hatchery, I also made them a microwave rice bag that I then put inside an old sock and tied it up. I warm the rice in the sock for 30 seconds on one side, flip it over, and ten second on the other side. Let it cool for a minute or so and then it is toasty warm..but not too warm...and they love to sit on it, it's their bean bag chair! I put it next to their stuffed animal, which in this case is a rabbit, and they love it! They have a heat light too but they like their bunny and sock moms better.

Last edited:
I use a stuffed animal too for chicks that I get that don't have a mom.  They love it.  TSC used to sell stuffed chickens, and those were the best!  For this brood of babies I got from the hatchery, I also made them a microwave rice bag that I then put inside an old sock and tied it up.  I warm the rice in the sock for 30 seconds on one side, flip it over, and ten second on the other side.  Let it cool for a minute or so and then it is toasty warm..but not too warm...and they love to sit on it, it's their bean bag chair!  I put it next to their stuffed animal, which in this case is a rabbit, and they love it! They have a heat light too but they like their bunny and sock moms better.

How long does the rice bag stay warm? Cuz I have one of those.

The chick is currently under the covers with me :p

Momma had her chicks out foraging today. She brought them right up to my feet. We had to help them with the chicken door into the run when she took them in for the night. It can be confusing, as it is goat proof, (but also set up to be chick friendly), but I am sure they will have it figured out in a couple days.

The chickens free range, but they all come running when I go outside. I also throw them some grains in the evenings. The goats like it too!

Momma had her chicks out foraging today. She brought them right up to my feet. We had to help them with the chicken door into the run when she took them in for the night. It can be confusing, as it is goat proof, (but also set up to be chick friendly), but I am sure they will have it figured out in a couple days.

The chickens free range, but they all come running when I go outside. I also throw them some grains in the evenings. The goats like it too!

So cute! How many chickens do have? Looks like a great flock!

Wonderful picture, she looks very proud.

Back
Top Bottom