Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Love this thread, just wish I knew a way to read all 235 pages! First time with 2 new broodys this spring. 1st one hatched 3 peeps last week and second one is due tomorrow. This is fun! Today I am going to allow the momma and peeps out of the box for their first outing... Thank God for all the good advice on this site!

Lydia - I hope your little chickie gets better. I love that Vetricyn, it works wonders.

Quote:
Miss L

Did she come home?
fl.gif

Glad the chick and duckling are doing well! You must have THE TOUCH!
thumbsup.gif

Ya'll aren't going to believe this, Just kidding! Sophie came home this morning. We have no earthly idea where she was, but He did. I just hope she stays. We live in the Mountains with lots of woods and lots of places to hide.

opened up Mama ducks last egg yesterday, just before it probably would have exploded. yuck stinky. she is going bonkers now trying to figure out how to get back into the nest box, I showed her her duckling again this morning she hissed and started towards it so I scouped up Hope and cuddled her, mama doesn't know what she is missing.

Little chicken is still hanging in, but won't eat or drink. I have been putting food and water along it's beak trying. It really doesn't look like a 2 day old chick well 11/2 day. Hardly any feathers on it's neck or head, feathered on it's back and wings. It's little head doesn't look good at all. don't know if mama did it or if it was born this way. Now it won't open it's eyes, I have been using silver and also vetrycin and put some antibiotic salve on it skin where the feathers haven't come in on it upper wings. I can try to post a pic if anyone would like to see if they think it hatched to early. It's very pitiful. But Thank the Good Lord the little minute of a duckling is doing so great. Don't think I could handle much more. Still hoping for lil chicken though. Congrats on all the hatches in the last couple of days. Them broodys are awesome. I have one more due to hatch around 21st of June, American Game HHandbasket, she was an awesome mommie before. First time broody since 09

Well 2 out of 3 things sorted isn't such a bad average! Well done!
celebrate.gif

Will send vibes to your little chickie
love.gif

Love this thread... read through a lot of it while our girl was brooding. Her chicks hatched last Saturday and it took me this long to finally officially join BYC. So a belated thank you for all your help during her "pregnancy".

DSCN8876.jpg

Now I just have to muddle through chick raising as a rookie!

Quote:
One nice thing about having a broody is she'll do all the work all you have to do is supply food,water and a lawn chair to sit and watch.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Back
Top Bottom