Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
So sorry to hear you lost your only little one to hatch..
hugs.gif

Out of 17 eggs, only one lonely little chick hatched...this is he/she's 3rd day and so far no drama. Very little, dark brown very cute...the picture isn't great but the best I could do with mama protecting her babe. I'm still holding out hope that more will hatch but I'm pretty sure, this is my only baby for the moment.

18271_day_1.jpg

The chick is an Americana/Egyptian Fayoumi mix....just hoping it's a hen so doesn't have to go the "camp freezer"...

Last edited:
Quote:
How precious
love.gif
is mama a brahma?

Mom is Americana...the 5 eggs in the nest feel kind of light but mom is still sitting on them so I'll wait for another day to see if they hatch. Chick will be very spoiled only child.

Quote:
How precious
love.gif
is mama a brahma?

Mom is Americana...the 5 eggs in the nest feel kind of light but mom is still sitting on them so I'll wait for another day to see if they hatch. Chick will be very spoiled only child.

Her color looks like my buff brahmas, one of my bantams had an only child, mama stayed with her for 10weeks it was precious.

Quote:

Her color looks like my buff brahmas, one of my bantams had an only child, mama stayed with her for 10weeks it was precious.

I've heard that the mama will distance herself from chicks after a certain age, that's why it will be kind of sad for the "only child" to be off on her own...how did your one chick do on her/his own?

Quote:

I've heard that the mama will distance herself from chicks after a certain age, that's why it will be kind of sad for the "only child" to be off on her own...how did your one chick do on her/his own?

Well she is 4 months old and I don't think she still has a buddy, she hangs out with one of our bantam roos and keeps away from us as much as possible. I only have been close to her when treating for worms and mites. But she has been coming closer when i bring out the mealworms so hopefully thats a step forward. How many other chickens do you have? I had alot of chicks being hatched by differnet broodys when she was hatched but mama and chick were inseperable. there comes a time when mama breaks it off and it looks really cruel but it has to be.

Quote:

Well she is 4 months old and I don't think she still has a buddy, she hangs out with one of our bantam roos and keeps away from us as much as possible. I only have been close to her when treating for worms and mites. But she has been coming closer when i bring out the mealworms so hopefully thats a step forward. How many other chickens do you have? I had alot of chicks being hatched by differnet broodys when she was hatched but mama and chick were inseperable. there comes a time when mama breaks it off and it looks really cruel but it has to be.

I have a Porcelain Duccle that is like that she runs when she see's me and just started hanging with the other Duccle's, but never sleeps with them, she goes into the coop she was hatched in all by herself, sometimes I think if I lock her out of it she will go sleep with the others in their coop, but I'm afraid she will just sit outside and die. Her mother died of heat this summer and her brother, well he wasn't nice and had to go down the road (if you know what I mean) I have Spitzenhauben with 8 babies 5 Marans, 2 duccle's and 1 duccle x Cornish X. Crazy huh. But my Mille was in love with the meat birds and it was too hot to slaughter, they started laying eggs and I thought it was a Duccle, but it didn't have feather legs.
22834_mscruella3.jpg
here's Ms. Cruella and one baby.

Quote:

I have 25 and 1/2 hens and one rooster. Ohhh, I hope one more hatches...such a lonely chicken life with no sisters to hang out with. Where do you find mealworms? Sounds like a fun treat.

Quote:

I have a Porcelain Duccle that is like that she runs when she see's me and just started hanging with the other Duccle's, but never sleeps with them, she goes into the coop she was hatched in all by herself, sometimes I think if I lock her out of it she will go sleep with the others in their coop, but I'm afraid she will just sit outside and die. Her mother died of heat this summer and her brother, well he wasn't nice and had to go down the road (if you know what I mean) I have Spitzenhauben with 8 babies 5 Marans, 2 duccle's and 1 duccle x Cornish X. Crazy huh. But my Mille was in love with the meat birds and it was too hot to slaughter, they started laying eggs and I thought it was a Duccle, but it didn't have feather legs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/22834_mscruella3.jpg here's Ms. Cruella and one baby.

What a sweet pic. after this chick hatched and I watched how she was a loner, I said never agin will I let my broody hatch one egg, I didn't do it on purpose this time either but the other eggs we're fertile. She sleeps in the coop with everyone but goes under the roof of the nest boxes and roost on the divider between the nests. she is such a pretty lil thing, I'd love to be able to get close to her.

Back
Top Bottom