Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I'm back again. I've been letting my white leghorn broody mom hang onto the one chick that survived her first brood and when I let the pair out of their dog cage enclosure today the chicks leg is injured. He's holding it above the ground, I'm guessing Mom stepped on it. He's only 8 days old. She wasn't protecting him very well from the other hens either. I thought about taking him away from her and caring for him inside, but the rest of my family is against the idea of committing to the whole winter of inside chicken care. The family has voted to let "nature take it's course". It's bumming me out.

ahhh,poor little bugger!! I would take him in too--he wouldn't be that big a deal --just one-they won't even know he's in there.
smile.png

Quote:
Poor little person!!!!
ep.gif
Hope it gets better!
fl.gif

Now I would be asking myself who would be doing the work involved with taking it indoors.
idunno.gif

If it's me, then it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks!
old.gif

But hey, maybe that's why I live alone
smack.gif

Quote:
Poor little person!!!!
ep.gif
Hope it gets better!
fl.gif

Now I would be asking myself who would be doing the work involved with taking it indoors.
idunno.gif

If it's me, then it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks!
old.gif

But hey, maybe that's why I live alone
smack.gif

I have to agree Fuffy, but she also has to live with those humans too. I hope the little one makes it. can you catch it after they go back inside and see what could be wrong?

Good morning everyone!!!! Well that third egg still has not hatched (the other 2 did wednesday a.m.) How long will broody mom continue to sit on it? Should I remove it before she gives up on it or just follow her lead? At least 2 out of 6 shipped hatched
smile.png

celebrate.gif

7 little fluffy butts. I had to pull one out of the shell. Poor little gal had two egg shells on her, both top and bottom. LOL She was fully zipped and waiting to come out. I am going to let that one fluff out then give them a shot. I may have to wear steel gloves to save me from big mama.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom