Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Well I don't have to worry anymore about Topsy not pooping. I locked everyone else out and took her off the nest to get water/food. She ran around dustbathing and eating/drinking. Suddenly she stopped and dropped a load that was just about her size! It was LF egg size but stretched out - LOL! And of course IT STUNK!
lau.gif

She then ran around clucking so I picked her up and put her back on her nest - she settled back down and seemed happy.

This thread may be helpful to you.
.https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/433402/lice/10

That's what I had heard as well, which is why I thought I'd go straight to the permithren dust. Though I would invest in some DE for future use and make them a dust bath area with that, some sand and some ashes from our woodstove.

I was hoping to use the permithren so we could still eat the eggs, since it seems that is a safe course. The down side being that I'd have to do it all again 10 days later. Do you need a second treatment in 10 days for the Ivomec? I might be willing to go that route and toss the eggs for two weeks if one application would do the trick.

The broody is currently still with the flock, camped out in a nesting box. I have not given her eggs yet because I was waiting to make sure she was really broody. Now I'm waiting to get my broody coop finished, hopefully this weekend. I was hoping to treat her when I move her, and treat the rest at the same time.

That's what I had heard as well, which is why I thought I'd go straight to the permithren dust. Though I would invest in some DE for future use and make them a dust bath area with that, some sand and some ashes from our woodstove.

I was hoping to use the permithren so we could still eat the eggs, since it seems that is a safe course. The down side being that I'd have to do it all again 10 days later. Do you need a second treatment in 10 days for the Ivomec? I might be willing to go that route and toss the eggs for two weeks if one application would do the trick.

The broody is currently still with the flock, camped out in a nesting box. I have not given her eggs yet because I was waiting to make sure she was really broody. Now I'm waiting to get my broody coop finished, hopefully this weekend. I was hoping to treat her when I move her, and treat the rest at the same time.

I do have another question about eggs and broodies.

If I collect eggs over a span of 3-4 days for my broody to sit on, and keep them all at the same temp until putting them under her will they hatch at the same time? Does the day the egg was laid make a difference, or only when incubation starts?

I do have another question about eggs and broodies.

If I collect eggs over a span of 3-4 days for my broody to sit on, and keep them all at the same temp until putting them under her will they hatch at the same time? Does the day the egg was laid make a difference, or only when incubation starts?
If you keep the eggs at a constant cool temp. Not in the fridge but just out on the counter top (unless your house is like 80 degrees) then each eggs will still be good for up to a week to 10 days.

It doesnt matter when the egg was laid what matters is when the hen (or incubator) begins to sit/heat them up. That means one egg could be a day old and one egg could be a week old and they would both start growing at the same time.

I hope this makes some since....
hmm.png

Well I don't have to worry anymore about Topsy not pooping. I locked everyone else out and took her off the nest to get water/food. She ran around dustbathing and eating/drinking. Suddenly she stopped and dropped a load that was just about her size! It was LF egg size but stretched out - LOL! And of course IT STUNK!
lau.gif

She then ran around clucking so I picked her up and put her back on her nest - she settled back down and seemed happy.
I have been having this same issue with my Buff Orpington. She won't get out of her nest to eat, drink or poop (in her seperated area). Two times now, I've put her in the protection of a tractor and offered her some high protein (flock raiser) mixed with plain, organic yogurt and B.O.S.S. She eats like she's starving (because she probably was) and gobbles up greens and beakfuls of water! The funniest part was watching Buffy dustbathing! That must be the one "luxery" they miss most while they're broody-LOL!

Buffy is sitting on 5 Trader Joe eggs!
ep.gif
While she enjoyed her food/water, I candled the eggs. All 5 still look good and right on schedule. (Today is Day 18). If any hatch, they'll hatch this Thursday or Friday. I'm so excited. She'll make a perfect momma for the yellow leghorn chicks!

Here is a picture of her after going back on the nest and cozying down on her eggs:

Everything I've read said that DE was preventative, but didn't help once the lice were there. I wouldn't bother with DE at this point as you have an infestation. I'd try something more substantial to treat since you aren't preventing but eradicating the lice. Could you treat her with something like Ivomec pour on for cattle? You could get that at TSC. Since she isn't laying right now it won't affect egg production and she won't transfer it to the hatching eggs. I believe you can put a dose on bread and she eats it. You may want to search on BYC for treating under the emergencies thread. Is she in with the general population or separated into a broody area? You will still want to dust everyone else or treat them with the same product. But for anyone laying you won't be able to eat the eggs for about 2 weeks. You will need to discard them instead.
I'd use the poultry dust it's the only way to kill them little suckers. When my girls go broody they will get drops of Epernix Pour on on the neck according to their size. you use it like Frontline for dogs. There is no egg withdrawl when using it so it maybe safer than other products. But to kill the ones in the nest and coop poultrty dust or Poultry Protector.

I have been having this same issue with my Buff Orpington. She won't get out of her nest to eat, drink or poop (in her seperated area). Two times now, I've put her in the protection of a tractor and offered her some high protein (flock raiser) mixed with plain, organic yogurt and B.O.S.S. She eats like she's starving (because she probably was) and gobbles up greens and beakfuls of water! The funniest part was watching Buffy dustbathing! That must be the one "luxery" they miss most while they're broody-LOL!

ep.gif
While she enjoyed her food/water, I candled the eggs. All 5 still look good and right on schedule. (Today is Day 18). If any hatch, they'll hatch this Thursday or Friday. I'm so excited. She'll make a perfect momma for the yellow leghorn chicks!

Here is a picture of her after going back on the nest and cozying down on her eggs:
So sweet!

ep.gif

!
WOW! All 5 eggs are growing! Thats great!!

I cant wait to see chick pics in just a few days!

I dont have to lift my girl off her eggs she gets up on her own but she also doesnt dust bathe she just walk around clucking like she is saying "Im broody out of my way!"
lau.gif

Psst - I know the secret to making a hen go broody...

1. You have to have a breed that is prone to broodiness - like EE, Cochin and Silkies - to name a few. Order some and then wait.
2. Make sure you have an inviting nest with fake eggs (golf ball, ping pong ball, ceramic egg, plastic egg or something else that looks egg shaped). Put the fake eggs in the nest box and then wait.
3. Watch her carefully and the 1st time you notice her staying on the nest all day long - give her a special treat to eat, like mealyworms or such, and then wait.
4. Watch her each night to see if she spends the night on the fake eggs or returns to the roost, and then wait.
5. Watch to see if she's stopped laying her own eggs, and then wait.
6. Once she stays on the nest all night long for 3 nights in a row - call her a broody - your wait is over! Celebrate, you have a broody!

Then decide whether to leave her where she is or move her to another location. If you are going to move her - do yourself a favor and do it at night under cloak of darkness. Trust me on this one. Put a small towel over her head so she can't see anything and move her along with some of her bedding to the new nest. Put the fake eggs under her and watch to see if she stays there the next morning. You can test her resolve for a couple of days - or if you already have a bator as backup go ahead and move forward with your plan to get eggs under her. Order your eggs and let them sit for 24 hours before placing them either in the nest when she's out eating/pooping or in front of her to let her scoop them under herself. Once the eggs are under her begin the 21 day count down and wait for the chicks to hatch!

The actual time between wanting a broody and having a broody may vary - the waiting time of somewhere between "now" and "never" are normal. However, do not give up hope. Trust in the process and wait patiently grasshopper - all things come to those who wait...
old.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom