Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I've got a broody hen! w00t! My Splash Cochin, Andromeda finally stayed put for 3 days in a row :) She seems serious about it too! I bought her a 10 Sussex, Black Starr, Ameraucana, eggs (Rooster for the hens was Coronation Sussex) and they seem to be doing great!

So bummed right now - I know that chicken losses are a part of raising them - I just never get used to it. 

I went to put everyone into the secure run so they could go into the coop at dark.  Sunny, my 29 week old Lavender Orpington who laid the darkest egg came into the run like everyone else.  Then she went under the coop and wouldn't come back out.  I got the rake I use to motivate them and still she wouldn't move.  So I raked her out.  She was practically dead by that point.  I got her out into the yard and rushed to the house to gather anything that might help.  As I returned to her I saw that she was screeching on the ground and flopping in circles.  She was dead by the time I got from the back door to her - it was just 50 feet away.   There was no forewarning - no obvious trauma - no obvious injury.  So I thanked her for her eggs and put her into a plastic bag until I can dispose of her properly tomorrow.  This is the part of chicken raising I hate.

Rest in peace my sweet beautiful Sunny.  I will miss your eggs - but I will miss you more.

I'm so sorry for your loss! :(

I went into the coop tonight to find a black copper marans hen sitting on 3 eggs in a nest box. My rhode island white hen was in a different box than the one she's been on for 3 days. She found another nest box with 4 eggs in it (I keep taking hers) and decided to move. :lol:

I guess she may have a roomie when she gets moved to another coop this weekend. These two are my most docile hens, and will jump in my lap, so they are great hens to have broody. I have a couple who are just plain mean, I'm hoping to hatch their replacements.

I'm so sorry to hear about Sunny, bobbieschicks.  Sunny is just a lovely girl (besides the nice eggs) and just over a year old? :confused:   That really bums me out too...I don't handle pets dying well. (mine or others):hugs   Do you have any idea what was wrong with her, yet?  Keep us posted. 

Thank you for your kind words. She was about six months old. No idea what killed her, except to say she was a very big girl who had laying issues earlier. May have been suffering from something internal and didn't show it.

I went into the coop tonight to find a black copper marans hen sitting on 3 eggs in a nest box. My rhode island white hen was in a different box than the one she's been on for 3 days. She found another nest box with 4 eggs in it (I keep taking hers) and decided to move. :lol:
I guess she may have a roomie when she gets moved to another coop this weekend. These two are my most docile hens, and will jump in my lap, so they are great hens to have broody. I have a couple who are just plain mean, I'm hoping to hatch their replacements.

Okay I'm jealous - you have 2 LF girls who are broody and I've just one tiny little silkie. Lol! JK! Congrats on the broodies.

So bummed right now - I know that chicken losses are a part of raising them - I just never get used to it.

I went to put everyone into the secure run so they could go into the coop at dark. Sunny, my 29 week old Lavender Orpington who laid the darkest egg came into the run like everyone else. Then she went under the coop and wouldn't come back out. I got the rake I use to motivate them and still she wouldn't move. So I raked her out. She was practically dead by that point. I got her out into the yard and rushed to the house to gather anything that might help. As I returned to her I saw that she was screeching on the ground and flopping in circles. She was dead by the time I got from the back door to her - it was just 50 feet away. There was no forewarning - no obvious trauma - no obvious injury. So I thanked her for her eggs and put her into a plastic bag until I can dispose of her properly tomorrow. This is the part of chicken raising I hate.

Rest in peace my sweet beautiful Sunny. I will miss your eggs - but I will miss you more.

So sorry! What a pretty girl.
hit.gif

I went to put everyone into the secure run so they could go into the coop at dark. Sunny, my 29 week old Lavender Orpington who laid the darkest egg came into the run like everyone else. Then she went under the coop and wouldn't come back out. I got the rake I use to motivate them and still she wouldn't move. So I raked her out. She was practically dead by that point. I got her out into the yard and rushed to the house to gather anything that might help. As I returned to her I saw that she was screeching on the ground and flopping in circles. She was dead by the time I got from the back door to her - it was just 50 feet away. There was no forewarning - no obvious trauma - no obvious injury. So I thanked her for her eggs and put her into a plastic bag until I can dispose of her properly tomorrow. This is the part of chicken raising I hate.

Rest in peace my sweet beautiful Sunny. I will miss your eggs - but I will miss you more.

pretty girl, so sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom