Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

When i had two broodys last year, in the broody shes there was a nest in the nesting boxed and there was a nest in the box on the floor and my hybrid (who was in the nesting box) kicked the light sussex in the box and the floor off and got on her nest, so the light sussex went in the nesting box and pulled al the hybrids eggs out and made a nest on the floor with the eggs in

I know it does, shes not ill enough to stop laying, i think she just had scard lungs, her breathing was weird,but apart from that shes very fat and healthy and i think she would handle broody well :), i know how ill it makes them look when they are broody
Hope everything goes good and she gives you some chicks.
thumbsup.gif

I will get so excited if shes missing out the flock when they are free ranging when i next go, i wil be begging for her to be broody and f shes not in the shed then i will worry!

Ok so I need some advice.... Popcorn who was sitting for 1 1/2 weeks in the same nest was playing musical nesting boxes for a few days .... Now she has settled down again and been in the same box for 2-3 days.... She has been sitting about 3 weeks ... I took her fertile eggs away when she got bullied out of her nest last week.... So as hatch day approaches when should I give her her eggs back??? I am going to see if I can figure out a way this weekend to make an enclosure around her nest so the other girls can't pester her... hmmmm I'd hate to give her the eggs just to have her get up and leave them.

The next problem I have is that my coop is raised a few feet off of the ground. I was going to put a board across the front so that the chicks can't fall out .... Will that work??? Are the chicks okay to stay in the coop for awhile??? and how old until they will be able to navigate that ramp??? It seems really high for wee chicks. So many things to worry about!

Thanks for any advice and guidance! This is my first broody so we need some HELP!!!!

AAGGJG, I do not know, this is my first 'possible' hatch also.
ya.gif
She has been on the eleven eggs, steadily, for 5-6 days
wee.gif
I planned to do about 8 eggs. Did I mark the eggs? nooo! So she got out for water, and other hens laid eggs in there, and I couldn't tell which were the new ones. I marked all of them now
and have hopefully learned something for next time.
roll.png

Last edited:
Ok so I need some advice.... Popcorn who was sitting for 1 1/2 weeks in the same nest was playing musical nesting boxes for a few days .... Now she has settled down again and been in the same box for 2-3 days.... She has been sitting about 3 weeks ... I took her fertile eggs away when she got bullied out of her nest last week.... So as hatch day approaches when should I give her her eggs back??? I am going to see if I can figure out a way this weekend to make an enclosure around her nest so the other girls can't pester her... hmmmm I'd hate to give her the eggs just to have her get up and leave them.

The next problem I have is that my coop is raised a few feet off of the ground. I was going to put a board across the front so that the chicks can't fall out .... Will that work??? Are the chicks okay to stay in the coop for awhile??? and how old until they will be able to navigate that ramp??? It seems really high for wee chicks. So many things to worry about!

Thanks for any advice and guidance! This is my first broody so we need some HELP!!!!
Make your enclosure then give her eggs back to her. If she is closed inside where the others can't get too her she should be fine. what is she sitting on now? Putting a board across will keep them in for a time, but as soon as mama is ready to take them outside take down the board or they will get separated and thats when you'll have problems. My chicks do ramps fine as long as they aren't too steep. I would make sure to be out there for the first couple going out and ins just to make sure they can navigate it okay another thought can you make sides for the ramp temporailly till they can go and come with ease?

Make your enclosure then give her eggs back to her. If she is closed inside where the others can't get too her she should be fine. what is she sitting on now? Putting a board across will keep them in for a time, but as soon as mama is ready to take them outside take down the board or they will get separated and thats when you'll have problems. My chicks do ramps fine as long as they aren't too steep. I would make sure to be out there for the first couple going out and ins just to make sure they can navigate  it okay another thought can you make sides for the ramp temporailly till they can go and come with ease? 

Okay thanks. She is in a nest box right now on pine shavings .... so I am not sure how I am going to close her in .... I guess that is my project for the weekend!

How many eggs can I give her?? She is a bantam cochin ..... She is sitting on 4 dummies right now...

Thanks!

This is a great thread. I hatched out some Sex Link x BCM cross in December & one evening thought it was a weird time for her to be laying an egg. Next day she was still missing (on the nest). After the 1st day I realized what was going on, so I placed 6 delaware eggs under her & she's been there all week. This is gonna be so cool.

what i finally learned to do is date one end of the eggs when they first go broody, then collect the others each day... big problem right now is i have 4 nest boxes.... and each one has a broody!!!
AAGGJG, I do not know, this is my first 'possible' hatch also.
ya.gif
She has been on the eleven eggs, steadily, for 5-6 days
wee.gif
I planned to do about 8 eggs. Did I mark the eggs? nooo! So she got out for water, and other hens laid eggs in there, and I couldn't tell which were the new ones. I marked all of them now
and have hopefully learned something for next time.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom