old incubator

Teach97

Bantam Addict
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
Hooker, OK
Alrighty...picked-up an older bator at an auction. It is round and metal...maybe 18" diameter. So I plugged it in and was getting stuff all set and went to reading the instructions (scary...I know) It said to set the temp at like 103!

Anyone ever seen this before?

Why?

Quote:
I saw one Saturday and the guy I bought the quail eggs from was hatching chickens quail and chukar with it successfully it sounds like a still air and the thermometer sounds like it might be a little higher then the top of the eggs

but the thermometer sits on the bottom with the eggs...makes sense if it was on the same level as the wafer

It is still air...what temp did that guy have his set at?

he told me he was running 102 kina makes me worry when mine goes over 101
smile.png
but he had a garage full of birds biddies grown ones and all sizes in between I was trying to ask all the questions I could think of I spent lots of time around chickens the first 15-17 years of my life it was too much like work for me to have to pay attention I just started messing with game birds (quail) the last 4-5 months .I finally got somewhere I can do a little bit of it

thanks..maybe I will give it a go. All my other bators I run at that 99.5-100 type range...and I have had multiple sportsman going at one time!

That just struck me as wierd...never saw that high of a temp suggested...I am withyou..I get worried at anything over 101!
roll.png

Quote:
Hi all,

I have a still air incubator and I run my bator at 101F at the top off the eggs.
99.5 - 100F is for forced air incubators.

103F is to high for me because I use ether thermostat in that incubator.
Ether thermostats can deviate at atmospheric pressure differences. Breeding at too high temperature above 104F, your eggs go lost.

But you have to try out the machine and you find out how it goes.

Good luck with this machine.

I am builiding an incubator of an old deep freezer. you can see my project at my incubator page https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=49606-freezer-incubator

Arie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom