Old Members Missing - Lots of New Members - Please USE SEARCH FEATURE

th.gif
18_baghead.gif

I might as well add a word of warning to the new members. You have to be care with these so called "BYC veterans." you may have 3 or 4 chickens like I did but they will show you all thos cute hatching chicks and fluffy butts that you will want more. Be careful!

Help Request:

There are a LOT of popular, informational, and fun threads that every member should at least be exposed to.

Anybody (or group of people) willing to start a new thread called "Important Thread Archive" where we can link to threads like:

This one!
BYC History
Frapper map
Show you mug (picture thread)
etc.

Please put this new thread in this, the feedback section.

Thanks!

I just want to add, I dont want to go out and spend money on books when I can get the opinion of people who are living it. But if you search, for instance, incubators or RIR, your going to get days worth of reading. The information in the learning center is limited, maybe some of the more experienced wouldnt mind reviewing it and adding on subjects that are constantly brought up. We all know this is a VERY active forum and it can take just hours for posts to be lost in pages of searching. I love it here but as a relatively new person still putting all the info together, searching can be over whelming when your trying to decide what posts to read based on the heading.

What is a stickie???? I've been using this forum for 6 mos and don't really know what you're talking about.
idunno.gif

And honestly guys, the search doesn't always answer our questions. Sometimes it yields way too many posts. Maybe I'm not using it right?

A sticky is if there is a important post it stays on the top with a sticky. it wont ever go to a second poage or thirds. it stays on top like my hatching egg care guide in the incubation area

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, I don't think that is what PC meant at all! If I have a question there is a good chance that it's already been asked. So I use the search feature to see if it's already been answered. That way people don't have to answer me all over again AND I don't have to wait for answers. It actually can get you your answer sooner since it's probably already there!

I know when I brought home my first chicks,the Ezboard BYC was a lifesaver. And the search feature there was useless. Have never tried the one here,but to me it seems much more personal & enjoyable to give/get advice & tips one-on-one. Maybe just skip over the posts you don't want to read/post in?

Quote:
Oh cool! I didn't know that. I've sometimes searched and been overwhelmed weeding through all the hits to find something useful. I'll try that next time. Thank you!

Search can be a valuable tool "IF" you are used to using it, and know the exact term you seek. Narrowing down results takes some time and practice using the search function on any forum. So it can be a daunting task for those who have never used it before.

At one point I was one who would commonly think to myself "Why didn't they use the search function?" or "This question has been asked 25 times in the past week!"

Then a lightbulb came on! People come to forums for the social interaction as much as the infomation. We all know many are timid about asking that first question and it gets easier from there. So, leave the easy questions for newer folks to answer which helps build their confidence on the forum and in the end increases their interaction and feeling of accomplishment. In the end even if a question concerning incubator temperature is asked 25 times, that makes for 25 opportunities for new people to contribute and be more willing to tackle tougher questions as they learn more. Thus the overall confidence and feeling of community is solidified.

I know that if a resource like this existed when I was first getting into poultry I would have been asking all the same questions that we see posted on a continual basis.

Just my take on the topic at hand.

Kurtis

Back
Top Bottom