Old Members Missing - Lots of New Members - Please USE SEARCH FEATURE

I think there is a happy medium. Some questions are asked too often, like "How many square feet per bird" but even these can have unique twists on them.

I think it is all in the manner and tone that the person uses to ask the question and if they have even tried at all to get a basic answer first.

The mods were joking around about a couple members that would come on and ask questions like, "What's the phone number for ordering at Ideal Poultry"? Well, go look at their home page!?!

Yes, im the same PC, i see so many same questions that we all ask at least once in our lives.

I use the search and gather info from there as I dont have time to post a question and wait for answers especially if its a straightforward thing..

I guess alot of new members have never been on a forum before and its a nice fun feeling to get a personal response to their query.
Nothing beats that first reply to your first ever thread!!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

thats just my 10 cents worth, which isnt worth much these days with inflation over here!!!
lau.gif

Quote:
Oh cool! I didn't know that. I've sometimes searched and been overwhelmed weeding through all the hits to find something useful. I'll try that next time. Thank you!

I didn't know this either! I know when I first started it was difficult to find what I was looking for. First off your new, possible upset, and often confused. Maybe instead of saying use the search feature we should be saying please post all the info you can on what you need. Broad questions are hard to answer and most of the time the poster ends up having to answer questions back before they can get the help they need. Maybe as part of the required reading it should mention to add as much specifics as possible.

Quote:
Oh cool! I didn't know that. I've sometimes searched and been overwhelmed weeding through all the hits to find something useful. I'll try that next time. Thank you!

I didn't know this either! I know when I first started it was difficult to find what I was looking for. First off your new, possible upset, and often confused. Maybe instead of saying use the search feature we should be saying please post all the info you can on what you need. Broad questions are hard to answer and most of the time the poster ends up having to answer questions back before they can get the help they need. Maybe as part of the required reading it should mention to add as much specifics as possible.

i agree with you kitty. If someones topic is "sick chick Please help" there are thousands of answers "sick chick with glassy looking eyes and runny nostirils" is more helpful

We cant help unless the new poster describes every detail about what the symptoms are
smile.png

Edited: dumb typos again

Last edited:
Good topic, Purple Chicken. I'm glad I'm not the only one skipping over earnest posts from newbies needing info. They most likely have no idea that their particular problem has been addressed before, but since I'm a veteran of Almost One Whole Year on BYC, I'm too bored with it to stop and help someone out. Especially answers that would take a while to type out and explain. So I skip them, and that's not fair to the newbies.

Us Old Folks shouldn't become complacent (like me). We could post links from past threads addressing the same problem ("sick dark purple chick now looks more lavender and is growing hair on its back"), or suggestions about how to phrase the problem in the Search area.

Good topic...

I don't answer too many posts, but I -like- finding the really 'easy' ones to answer.

Even with 22 years of poultry raising experience, I don't feel like I can give 'official' answers to a lot of the more interesting, complex problems. I've only incubated eggs once, I've never kept breeder-source or pure-bred chickens, I know nothing about genetics, and don't do well at guessing pullet/cockeral. ...

I'm one who doesn't mind the endless basic questions so much.

Because I sure can answer questions like 'How do I wash an egg?', 'Which end goes up when incubating?', 'How warm should the brooder be?' and 'Is my pullet -ever- going to lay eggs?'

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom