Older chickens going gray?

I use layer feed with 16% protein. The guineas eat 18% protein and he occasionally conducts a raid on their feed but he never gets more than a few pellets. Is there some specific brand that you use or are they all based on the same protein and it doesn't matter? We have been using it for years and our chickens always looked beautiful.

I use layer feed with 16% protein. The guineas eat 18% protein and he occasionally conducts a raid on their feed but he never gets more than a few pellets. Is there some specific brand that you use or are they all based on the same protein and it doesn't matter? We have been using it for years and our chickens always looked beautiful.
I use 20% Nutrena Naturewise All Flock Pellets, & Purina 20% Flock Raiser with oyster shells on the side. I have roosters, & none layers, so the excess calcium would be harmful.

Sorry, just saw your last reference to calcium. Is that heavy in something specific you've mentioned?
Layer feed is high in calcium. It's formulated specifically for high Production layers, like Isa Browns, Golden Comets, other Red Sex-link or layer hybrids, & Leghorns.

Do chickens go "gray" when they are older?
Not my chickens. But the quality of their feathers do get less ‘sparkling’. And each molt the feather pattern changes a bit.

This is my 9+ hen Ini mini. .
IMG_3579.jpeg

And a one photo with one of my black Dutch (8+ yo).
IMG_3539.jpeg

They get organic feed most of their lives.

Not my chickens. But the quality of their feathers do get less ‘sparkling’. And each molt the feather pattern changes a bit.

This is my 9+ hen Ini mini. .
View attachment 3698785
And a one photo with one of my black Dutch (8+ yo). View attachment 3698786
They get organic feed most of their lives.
She is gorgeous, and so "mature!" Do you get these advanced ages with any of your other hens?

Layer feed is high in calcium. It's formulated specifically for high Production layers, like Isa Browns, Golden Comets, other Red Sex-link or layer hybrids, & Leghorns.
Yikes, I just always gave it to all of my hens. I had no idea it was specific to certain hens. So, if I have a flock with hens and Billy, what is the best feed you would recommend? I really can't separate their food sources.

Back
Top Bottom