Olive Egger Vent Bleeding-GRAPHIC PIC

chaoticgoodcoop

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2023
Hello, I am a first time chicken owner and got my first 6 in March as chicks. They are all laying age and all but my Olive Egger are laying eggs. There was a time she seemed like she was going to; going up to the nesting boxes and rifling around, squatting, etc. Soon she started acting sick. She was all puffed up and dripping fluid and some blood from her vent. I took her to the vet and they did a sample and couldn't find anything wrong. Since then she has not laid any eggs. I live in a suburban area so they are in a large run and if I am home I let them run around my backyard. My olive egger paces by the run all day trying to get out, she even tries to dig, and then when I let her out she eats like she is absolutely starving. She has access to both Oyster shell and Kalmbach layer crumbles, but I have been monitoring her more closely lately and i don't ever see her eat either. Everyone says that chickens will eat if they're hungry, but I am worried she is starving herself. She seems lighter weight and her crop isn't full. I have brought her inside and made her some eggs and yogurt and added her feed into it and she will eat that. I noticed there was some blood in the coop this morning so I brought her in. Her bottom was looking very messy so I soaked her in warm water this morning and when I took her out, it looked like she was straining to lay an egg. She made this really said squawking noise like it was painful for her. I noticed blood oozing from her vent as well as white fluid. I read another thread where someone said a hen wasn't getting the nutrients she needed so she kept laying soft eggs internally and causing infections and I am worried that is what is happening. If she won't eat the accessible food, what should I do? Bring her in and feed her for a while? Or do you think this is something else?

Attachments

• tanya.jpg
    tanya.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 43
She may be having trouble passing an egg, you need to get some calcium citrate +D3 with at least 500mg of calcium and get that into her asap.
I suggest giving her epsom salt soaks, to relax her muscles.
Make sure to keep the exposed tissue moist with some sort of cream.
You may want to lube up a finger and feel for an egg inside of her, just to see if it really is one.

Is her abdomen bloated at all? The abdomen is located underneath the vent behind the legs.

She has a vent prolapse in the picture. She needs to be separated from others, and given some calcium, which may help her prolapse go back in and help to pass an egg if she is egg bound. Calcium citrate with vitamin D is good, about 600 mg today, and repeat tomorrow if needed. Others will peck at her vent causing damage when a prolapse occurs. Has she been bullied or kept from food by her flock mates? Is she low in the pecking order? Make sure that she is taking some fluids.,

Also, keep her prolapse covered with ointment or honey while it is out.

She may be having trouble passing an egg, you need to get some calcium citrate +D3 with at least 500mg of calcium and get that into her asap.
I suggest giving her epsom salt soaks, to relax her muscles.
Make sure to keep the exposed tissue moist with some sort of cream.
You may want to lube up a finger and feel for an egg inside of her, just to see if it really is one.

Is her abdomen bloated at all? The abdomen is located underneath the vent behind the legs.
I have given her a couple of epsom salt soaks. This has happened so far a couple of times but today's was the only time I saw blood. She HAS acted like she was going to lay and then sort of "pushed" and nothing happened before a few weeks ago. A vet came out then and said they couldn't feel anything inside her.

She has a vent prolapse in the picture. She needs to be separated from others, and given some calcium, which may help her prolapse go back in and help to pass an egg if she is egg bound. Calcium citrate with vitamin D is good, about 600 mg today, and repeat tomorrow if needed. Others will peck at her vent causing damage when a prolapse occurs. Has she been bullied or kept from food by her flock mates? Is she low in the pecking order? Make sure that she is taking some fluids.,

Also, keep her prolapse covered with ointment or honey while it is out.
I did separate her while she was like that and her vent looks normal now. She is actually high on the pecking list because the rest of my flock are silkies. I did order her some calcium citrate with D that should be here in the morning. She eats and drinks normally if it is a tasty snack, that is what's weird. She is not acting lethargic or tired, she just won't eat the chicken feed unless I mix it in egg/yogurt. I have ordered a different feed to see if that will encourage her to eat.

Back
Top Bottom