olive egger

Newcastle Funny Farm

In the Brooder
May 19, 2022
Olive Egger hen and Olive Egger Rooster = I have read so many different things. Thoughts?

Also, BCM hen and Olive Egger Rooster = Olive Egger correct?

Olive Egger hen and Olive Egger Rooster = I have read so many different things. Thoughts?
That’s because you get a range of layers, from cream to blue to green to olive to brown. It also depends on the makeup of the parents. It will be a mixed bag but chances are a majority of the offspring will be Olive Eggers.

Olive eggers and brown eggers.

This is how it was explained to me and these are the only ones that I know:

Dark Brown Egg + Blue Egg = F1 Olive Egger

F1 Olive Egger + F1 Olive Egger = F2 Olive Egger.

F1 Olive Egger + BCM or Welsummer =
Olive Egger Backcross 1 (BC1)

BC1 + BCM or Welsummer = Backcross 2 (BC2)

F1 Olive Eggers should always lay green eggs.

Once you start Backcrossing and breeding your F1s together then they don't always lay green shades it's a chance that the will get the proper combo of genes required to create the green eggs. So typically you can have a darker green (Moss) or its dark brown again.

This is how it was explained to me and these are the only ones that I know:

Dark Brown Egg + Blue Egg = F1 Olive Egger

F1 Olive Egger + F1 Olive Egger = F2 Olive Egger.

F1 Olive Egger + BCM or Welsummer =
Olive Egger Backcross 1 (BC1)

BC1 + BCM or Welsummer = Backcross 2 (BC2)

F1 Olive Eggers should always lay green eggs.

Once you start Backcrossing and breeding your F1s together then they don't always lay green shades it's a chance that the will get the proper combo of genes required to create the green eggs. So typically you can have a darker green (Moss) or its dark brown again.
Thank you!

That’s because you get a range of layers, from cream to blue to green to olive to brown. It also depends on the makeup of the parents. It will be a mixed bag but chances are a majority of the offspring will be Olive Eggers.

Olive eggers and brown eggers.
Thank you! And yes, correct.

Back
Top Bottom