OMG daytime rats eating feed right in front of chickens!

I think it's the design of the port that keeps mice out (like I said, I don't know about rats, but I know the mice haven't found a way in and its been 8 months). Here's a video that shows how it works. :) I've been very happy with it!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there are any "perfect feeders". Even treadle feeders have their issues. I just wanted to share what worked for me in case it might be helpful.
Oh interesting experiment! But yeah with rats being so much larger I bet they could reach in. I think that's why website only says mice-proof.

Thanks everyone. I've been trying some home remedies...put out sticky trap (caught 1 but it managed to free itself!), tried to flood the burrow (didn't seem to work), I've been filling holes up with steel wool and dirt and gravel (but they just dig new holes)...

So I have an exterminator coming tomorrow to put out poison bait.

And for now I have to be outside while I feed the chickens.

I've also ordered 2 treadle feeders. The RentACoop just arrived today. Also ordered Grandpas.

Will let ya'll know how it works out!
Hi, how are these solutions going? It seems you tried all the things. I’ve known we have had a few and have been trying to remove the food at night as a deterrent, but I just saw a rat scurry away from the run in the morning recently and looking to take more steps. Would be curious what you’ve learned please!

Hi, how are these solutions going? It seems you tried all the things. I’ve known we have had a few and have been trying to remove the food at night as a deterrent, but I just saw a rat scurry away from the run in the morning recently and looking to take more steps. Would be curious what you’ve learned please!
Hi! Fortunately we got the problem under control! I still occasionally see a rat hole here and there but we have not seen any during the day and they are no longer accessing the chicken feed.
We did have the professional exterminator put out bait (in those black plastic containers) and we keep those out in the yard area full-time now. And when I see a new rat hole pop up in the ground, I either just fill them and stomp them. Or I put RatX in them and then fill them.
I am using the treadle feeders but also still leaving food out for my girls throughout the day. But we don't have visits from the rats anymore.
The exterminator did say that there will always be rats around since they live amongst us. So as long as there isn't an issue or infestation, you kind of have to live with it.

I'd say if you don't want to pay for an exterminator, use the RatX. It's even what he recommended.

Good luck!

I watched my chickens brutally murder a mouse the other day. You have very polite chickens lol
I have an Asil hen that hunts and eats rodents. I've seen her going after squirrels also but they're far too cautious. Rodents in the coop would be free meat

Back
Top Bottom