OMG my chickens ATE Mice, HELP!!!!

I don't have chickens of my own yet, but I used to farm sit for some people that had them, one day one of them came running in the barn sounding SO proud of herself that I had to look and see what she was up to.... she had caught a frog!

Mine killed a sparrow the other day. The EE that is highest in the pecking order was running around with it like it was some kind of major award! I see them dive bombing the birds when I throw scratch, I NEVER imagined they would actually catch one!
bow.gif

It's perfectly normal for chickens to eat mice. I'm sure their eggs will be safe to eat, but if you do worry about your flock getting worms, you can feed them garlic. I usually mix it into their feeder or sprinkle some onto kitchen scraps.

We have starting letting our chickens out in the evenings for supervised ranging before they head to the roost for the night. We've had an unusually large number of very small frogs this summer and our girls were chasing each other and the frogs all over the place. They were very successful frog hunters. LOL

Just have to say that reading over this thread just now has completely made my morning, gross experiences and all. Much more entertaining with my coffee than this morning's newspaper!
smileys-coffee-592956.gif
While I've yet to see my teeny-boppers catch a mouse or the like yet, I wouldn't put it past them after reading about all the critters yours have caught. Mine have already proven themselves to be fast-on-the-draw with insects of all sizes. Just this morning, I watched my Welsummer once again snatch a fly from mid air! I have nicknamed her "Daniel-san" (I'm revealing my age with that movie reference
cool.png
LOL). Woe be to any spider, bumblebee, slug, moth, or especially those large Japanese Beetles (which are a flock favorite) that find themselves in the coop or run!

Those baby mice were no more than a protein treat for your chickens. Nothing worse than a night crawler. Eat your eggs with pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom