OMG! My duck has been mutilated!

Your poor duck, I'm so sorry she was injured.

The previous poster was correct, now that a predator has found your ducks, it will most likely be back. Check at your local stores, maybe you can get free wooden pallets to put together some type of structure. Look on Craigslist for an old play house or dog house. Maybe you can find an old shed that will work for them. They need to be inside at night to keep them safe from a return visit.

Good luck to you. And if you need help treating your injured duck post here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
ok I don't think I can keep them inside. They would poop everywhere but I might put then in my screen porch

Depending on what it was, screen isn't going to do squat to protect them.

Search CL for a free dog house or materials to build something. Pallets are a good option to either use as is or use the wood from to create something.

I know the feeing, I let my five ducks free roam. One was eaten by an alligator that snuck in my pond and two more disappeared during the night a few weeks later, never found their bodies :/. I still have my two Pekins (the first ducks I got). after that I made a small coop for night time, at first I had to put them in a dog cage but it was a hassle to clean. it's definitely worth it though. putting them in your screen porch is much better then letting them free roam so I would do it if I were you :)

Last edited:
Yes, the screen porch is good for now until you can get something more suitable. It's definitely better than nothing and will at least protect them from birds of prey. Foxes and raccoons could still get in of course, but it's better than just being outside completely unprotected.

It was weird, because there was no blood! All the flesh was stripped of its bones. I will take action with the ducks before night. I have noticed that the ducks have been spooked by a lot of things before. What so you think killed it. Sorry, I cant get a pic.

It was weird, because there was no blood! All the flesh was stripped of its bones. I will take action with the ducks before night. I have noticed that the ducks have been spooked by a lot of things before. What so you think killed it. Sorry, I cant get a pic.
It sounds like a raptor, which could mean many breeds of large predatory birds. I don't know what's in your region, but I don't think it was a mammal unless it was a multiple predator attack, which is always possible. How long had it been since you'd seen the drake?

@Tinque had a great suggestion that never would have crossed my mind. Maybe if you don't have the means or time to build a shelter, people at a local farm or feed store would be willing to donate materials.

It sounds like a raptor, which could mean many breeds of large predatory birds. I don't know what's in your region, but I don't think it was a mammal unless it was a multiple predator attack, which is always possible. How long had it been since you'd seen the drake?

@Tinque had a great suggestion that never would have crossed my mind. Maybe if you don't have the means or time to build a shelter, people at a local farm or feed store would be willing to donate materials.
Update: the screen door has ben ripped. I just found it.

Which will sometimes mean something with claws, but that's odd unless you've already put the ducks inside the screened porch? It doesn't cancel out raptors, believe me. We've owned Cockatoos. They ate our dining room chairs. Can you at least post a pic of the tear?
There was multiple tears that rendered the door useless. We took down the entire screen because anything could get through.

Back
Top Bottom