OMG! My duck has been mutilated!

coolguy221822

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2015
I woke up to find 4 of my 5 ducks sitting outside. I let them free range, and they have never been in a coop. They have been fine all this time until today. I look around and see one of my Rouen ducks ripped apart! IT WAS ALMOST ALL BONES. I am scared now, my ducks are outside, but I don't have money to build a coop. I don't have a pic But it was all ripped apart. hat kind of animal could do this.

If it was a coyote it would have carried it away...a clean carcass put's me in mind of some kind of bird of prey.

You could try saving up and building a lean too at least. It doesn't have to be fancy, just enough to give them some over head cover when they need it. ...an old dog house with hay inside would work just as well.

Last edited:
Whereabouts do you live? and what predators are local to you? If it was the UK i'd say a fox or a dog without a doubt. A fox got my muscovy last year and made such a mess of it that I had to bury it before the kids woke up.

Please don't post a picture.

A lot of people are able to put together a decent coop with mostly found materials. My coop looks really nice, but it is 80% recycled free wood. Here's the problem - whatever took your ducks life will most likely come back. It found a free duck buffet, and he wants to take advantage of it until they are all gone. You need to find a temporary solution until a more permanent one can be found. Can they be stored overnight in a garage or shed for the time being? If they were mine, I would bring them in to the basement if I didn't have a shed or garage.

Your poor duck, I'm so sorry she was injured.

The previous poster was correct, now that a predator has found your ducks, it will most likely be back. Check at your local stores, maybe you can get free wooden pallets to put together some type of structure. Look on Craigslist for an old play house or dog house. Maybe you can find an old shed that will work for them. They need to be inside at night to keep them safe from a return visit.

Good luck to you. And if you need help treating your injured duck post here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Sounds like a bird of prey to me as well. They tend to pick the bones clean like that. You'll definitely want to figure out some kind of shelter for them because, like jducour said, whatever did this will most likely be back for the rest of your ducks.

Sounds like a bird of prey to me as well. They tend to pick the bones clean like that. You'll definitely want to figure out some kind of shelter for them because, like jducour said, whatever did this will most likely be back for the rest of your ducks. 
the weird thing is is that no blood was found near or on the bones

Whereabouts do you live? and what predators are local to you? If it was the UK i'd say a fox or a dog without a doubt. A fox got my muscovy last year and made such a mess of it that I had to bury it before the kids woke up.
I live in South Florida

Your poor duck, I'm so sorry she was injured.

The previous poster was correct, now that a predator has found your ducks, it will most likely be back. Check at your local stores, maybe you can get free wooden pallets to put together some type of structure. Look on Craigslist for an old play house or dog house. Maybe you can find an old shed that will work for them. They need to be inside at night to keep them safe from a return visit.

Good luck to you. And if you need help treating your injured duck post here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
ok I don't think I can keep them inside. They would poop everywhere but I might put then in my screen porch

Depending on what it was, screen isn't going to do squat to protect them.

Search CL for a free dog house or materials to build something. Pallets are a good option to either use as is or use the wood from to create something.

Back
Top Bottom