OMG!!!! What am I doing wrong???

Fontenot Farm

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2016
Angleton, Texas
Good morning, I am at wits end. I purchased 5 baby geese, hatched 2 of my own, and all but 1 has died. I got the ones i bought from my local feed store where she had them for 2 weeks in an outside brooder. Brought them home, put them in the same type of brooder that she had, they had fresh water daily, as well as food. Each day 1 eould go, then i brought them inside for a week, then introduced them back outside 3 days ago. All was well until i went out this morning to find 2 more dead. What else could i have done? Thank you for listening to my rambling, i just can't afford to buy anymore.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
It may help knowing a little more about your set-up. How old were the goslings? Is there a heat source? What is the temp inside brooder? Is there a draft inside brooder? What feed are you giving?
I sure hope someone can help you find answers.
Linda

My brooder is an old rabbit hutch, off the ground, the temp outside has been in the 90's. It is covered, and has 2 sides with rabbit wire, and the other 2 are blocked for drafts. I hadn't put a heat source outside because of the temps, it's in the 80's at night. When i had them inside i did use a heat source because it gets pretty cool in our bathroom at night. I have it just on a corner of the tote they were in so it wasn't directly on them. I am giving them chick feed non medicated that the fees store was giving them before i got them.

My brooder is an old rabbit hutch, off the ground, the temp outside has been in the 90's. It is covered, and has 2 sides with rabbit wire, and the other 2 are blocked for drafts. I hadn't put a heat source outside because of the temps, it's in the 80's at night. When i had them inside i did use a heat source because it gets pretty cool in our bathroom at night. I have it just on a corner of the tote they were in so it wasn't directly on them. I am giving them chick feed non medicated that the fees store was giving them before i got them.
They were 2 weeks old when i got them, so they were 5 weeks old as of Friday last week.

I don't think drafts or temperature was a problem unless it was too hot for them.
One should always quarantine birds from different sources.
About all you can do now is to send a dead gosling to your state poultry lab to see what killed them.
Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Amarillo (Branch)
6610 Amarillo Blvd West
Amarillo, Texas 79106-1706
Phone: 806-353-7478

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Center (Branch)
635 Malone Dr
Center, Texas 75935-3530
Phone: 936-598-4451

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (Main)
483 Agronomy Road
College Station, Texas 77840
Phone: 979-845-3414

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory – Gonzales (Branch)
1162 East Sarah DeWitt Drive
Gonzales, Texas 78629
Phone: 830-672-2834

Texas Animal Health Commission State-Federal Laboratory
8200 Cameron Road, Suite A186
Austin, Texas 78754-3832
Phone: 512-832-6580

Sounds like you were doing the right things. My only thought is to take a sample of the chick feed, same bag you are feeding out of. Maybe some mold got in. The lab should be able to test the feed along with the autopsy on a gosling.

Good luck, and let us know the results
Linda

I don't think drafts or temperature was a problem unless it was too hot for them.
One should always quarantine birds from different sources.
About all you can do now is to send a dead gosling to your state poultry lab to see what killed them.
Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Amarillo (Branch)
6610 Amarillo Blvd West
Amarillo, Texas 79106-1706
Phone: 806-353-7478

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Center (Branch)
635 Malone Dr
Center, Texas 75935-3530
Phone: 936-598-4451

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (Main)
483 Agronomy Road
College Station, Texas 77840
Phone: 979-845-3414

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory – Gonzales (Branch)
1162 East Sarah DeWitt Drive
Gonzales, Texas 78629
Phone: 830-672-2834

Texas Animal Health Commission State-Federal Laboratory
8200 Cameron Road, Suite A186
Austin, Texas 78754-3832
Phone: 512-832-6580
Thank you!!

Sounds like you were doing the right things. My only thought is to take a sample of the chick feed, same bag you are feeding out of. Maybe some mold got in. The lab should be able to test the feed along with the autopsy on a gosling.

Good luck, and let us know the results
Linda
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom