Once a broody always a broody?

SueBaby

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Oceanside, CA
I have a mutt/EE hen that is about a year old. Since maybe March or so it seems like every other week she starts to go broody. I lock her out of the coop all day and block the nesting boxes at night to help her snap out of it. It usually last between 3 days and a week. Then she'll stop the broody behaviors, and in a week or so she'll lay an egg. She might be OK for a week or two and then it starts all over again. Is there any chance that this is a phase? Or am I just stuck with a broody girl. I find it very frustrating to have to work so hard to have her do the egg-laying job that I got her for. I do adore my chickens as pets, but I also expect some eggs. I don't think I could cull her though. I guess I'm really fishing for someone to tell me it's just a phase and NOT who she will be forever? Any takers?
roll.png

Last edited:
IF you want to break this behaviour you will have to make this hen uncomfortable for probably a while. I would put her on a wire floor and try that for about a 2 weeks to a month. There is the slight chance she won't stop but I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom