Once again - I have to make this decision re a dying chicken

cocoloco

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
i have a flock of 5 hens and 2 roosters. After 2 wonderful years without losing one - I found out yesterday my Easter
Egger, Grumpy, will probably not survive the weekend. I brought her to the vet with what I thought was a crop
issue - only to find, via X-ray, she has a hard blockage in her intestines. My husband wanted to say goodbye - as she is
his favorite, so she was given a strong pain shot and I brought her home. She is next to me now chomping watermelon -
her favorite treat. Here is my dilemma: do I bring her back to the vet to have her put down...or do we
keep her here to die at home with her family? I have, in 5 years of owning chickens, had vets put down 4 hens
and have had 2 sick hens die at home. (I am not counting 2 meat birds found dead in my coop from heart attacks)
Either they die with a stranger - and I feel guilty...or they slowly die in my house over a period of 1-3 days - which is
awful. The 2 that died in the house went into fits and flopped around for a minute or so before dying. Very
unsettling and not at all peaceful. Also, yesterday, our rooster - who normally goes right into the coop
every night - hung around my backdoor crowing for her until dark - he knows she is in the house.
I read chickens have short memories - should I let the flock see her...let her see the flock, albeit, at a safe distance?
I can't talk to any other local chicken owners where I live - I am surrounded by old school farmers who laugh
and make fun of me when I talk like this.

I assume that you are not able to euthanize her yourself?
If not, I would say goodbye and have the vet do it. You can be there when it's done. I would not allow her to suffer. Once that pain shot wears off, she will be.
:hugs

If not, I would say goodbye and have the vet do it. You can be there when it's done. I would not allow her to suffer. Once that pain shot wears off, she will be.
I agree with DobieLover, I know how hard it is, but it is the best for your beloved bird. I am so sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear about your hen. You are so kind and thoughtful to consider Grumpys last days and the best way to deal with it. What ever you decide to do, you are doing it with love and kindness so it will be the right choice.

By euthanize her - you mean break her neck? The farmers around me all offered to put any chicken down upon request (they are neck breakers) - but, whenever I needed them, they were never available. I have a tractor supply 2 min. away - if I can buy something there and inject her - please let me know. My vet usually lets you stand there while your pet is euthanized, but, due to Covid, they are not allowing it. For the past year, clients remain in their parking lot - assistants come out to the parking lot - bring the the pet in - Dr calls you afteer the exam - then they bring them back out.

By euthanize her - you mean break her neck? The farmers around me all offered to put any chicken down upon request (they are neck breakers) - but, whenever I needed them, they were never available. I have a tractor supply 2 min. away - if I can buy something there and inject her - please let me know. My vet usually lets you stand there while your pet is euthanized, but, due to Covid, they are not allowing it. For the past year, clients remain in their parking lot - assistants come out to the parking lot - bring the the pet in - Dr calls you afteer the exam - then they bring them back out.
Just have the vet do it for you now so she doesn't suffer.

but, due to Covid, they are not allowing it. For the past year, clients remain in their parking lot - assistants come out to the parking lot - bring the the pet in - Dr calls you afteer the exam - then they bring them back out.
Routine or even sick exams are one thing but euthanasia is another. Are you sure they don't allow you to go back with her? I'd call and ask.

Thank you to all for the kind words. I forgot to say, we rescued her 3 1/2 yrs ago from a tiny cramped coop and "run" on a large farm. She was full grown at the time, so we have no idea how old she really is. Former owner said - that one never lays any eggs - well, within a month of coming here - and free-ranging with my tiny flock - she was laying beautiful blue eggs regularly! One other thing that has made her so endearing - her former home was by the seashore - she does not make chicken noises - she whimpers like a seagull when she wants attention.

Back
Top Bottom