one chicken lays her egg on the floor everyday

Ummm we have silkies 6 of them 2 are laying , they have just started laying for the first time
and one of them is laying on the floor of the coop which has 2 nesting boxes.
jumpy.gif

I put 2 nesting boxes in the run which are under cover but are still in the open.
Do they need some more privacy as they have checked them out but have not used them yet ???
D.gif

I followed the floor laying chook into the coop and with a small net kinda held her in the nesting
box , but she did nothing for about 10 minutes so I gave up and she just took off.
But later I watch her go back and yes she layed an egg on the floor again.
idunno.gif

I do not know if this will help but we use saw-dust in their sleeping area, we buy it from our local pet and feed store.
D.gif

We use nesting straw in the nesting boxes which we also get from the store.
jumpy.gif

We also placed plastic 1 egg in each of the nests, but once they started laying we took them out.

We did have one hen that layed on the floor in the saw-dust but just stopped do it after awhile?

Its funny but we have 5 nests for our 6 silkies and they only lay in the SAME nest in the Coop ? funny that.
yippiechickie.gif

I have been watching my girls for a while and I reckon that they weren't laying on the floor at all.
I installed a triple nest, nesting box in the wall and I suspect the three boxes are too small for the RIR's to turn around in so they get stuck head first with their butt hanging out and when they gotta go... the eggs drop down to the floor.
Yea me...!

Back
Top Bottom