One Less Snapping Turtle

howard

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
NE Alabama
Caught a 14 lb. snapping turtle that has been harassing my ducklings.... and I suspect ate one in broad daylight.

Been trying to catch him the last few days, but he has been stealing the bait and actually chewing on the metal leader that I was using to attach a hook and bait.

Hooked him quite by accident ( was fishing for more bait ) I reeled him in close to shore and shot him with my .22 rifle.
I was planning to relocate him but was afraid he would get off the line... was only using a 6# line...

It had a HUGE mouth probably could open at least 3"

The ducks have been afraid to go into the water... they will go in a shallow area near the edge of the pond, but spook easily and run out.

I put the ducks in their duck house at night, Hopefully safe from Coyote, Fox and Racoons that I know are in the area.

Yep turtles will get those ducks,
barnie.gif
and the ducks know when they are active most of the time. They will get those little fellers in one big gulp too.

Quote:
I know he is not the only one but I think he was the biggest. We have seen him lurking near the fish feeder last couple of years. Have hooked him a time or two but he usually got off by breaking the line. I was surprised when he let me pull him to the bank... His mistake !

There are other smaller turtles in the pond, I sometimes catch them sunning on some rocks. they dive in when they see me.

If I hadn't started to try to get some ducks established on the pond, I would have left him.

The ducks refused to come out of their house this morning...usually they can't wait to get out and head for the water.

I hope they will eventually forget the incident and return to the water.

Back
Top Bottom