One lonely/outcast chicken out of 8... should I get 1 more?

brooklyn522

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2019
Hey guys! New to the forum and new to chickens! I've got all the basics down, but still really trying to understand chicken behavior....
I have a flock of 8 but separated into 2 cliques... 2 easter eggers, rhode island red, production red, and silver laced wyandotte who are 22-23 weeks. I also have 2 easter eggers and a buff orpington who are 18-19 weeks. No one has started laying yet, but we're close. The first 5 were purchase within the same week, so they're extremely close. I purchased the next 2 EEs from a local breeder when they were about 2 weeks old (who were terrified of people) so a few days later I bought a very friendly buff orpington (same age) from that same breeder. Adding the BO has made these 2 EEs more social and not trying to fly/run away every time I tried to feed them or do anything near them, so that's helped. But these two EEs, nicknamed "the twins" due to being extremely close to one another (like more than any of the other chickens), allow Peep (my BO) to follow them around a little bit, but I usually find her by herself more as they're getting older.
Now my question is, should I get one more lone chicken (from same breeder that's the same age/size) so Peep has a buddy? Or would that cause her to get closer to the original chickens, then I'll end up with a new loner chicken?

In your last sentence, you show you are already suspicious of trying to outsmart chicken behavior. The fact of the matter is you can never know how a new individual will fall into the existing pecking order or even how merely introducing a new chicken can upset the entire social order, creating more problems than you are trying to solve.

You might be able to work with this "loner" and boost their self confidence so they will be able to fit into the pecking order. Here's my article on how to do that. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

While it may not appear that this solitary chicken is being bullied, she may actually experience being a victim as her reality. The method described in the article is designed to boost self confidence in order to help the chicken shake out of the victim role and become an integrated member of the flock. I've never had my method fail.

Really I think in 6 more weeks, everyone will be laying and it will be come one flock. While there may be some birds that like to hang together, I think one notices it much more with juvenile pullets.

I agree with AArt adding another bird will not make this better. They really need to work it out themselves. Sometimes you will have a bird that does not fit with the flock, if so, it would be better to re-home her, than to add another bird.

Mrs K

I agree with Mrs. K and aart.
I have 22 chickens and there are several that don’t mind going off on their own quite a bit.
I think of them as independent.
It’s surprising how much they can settle down after they start laying too.
I did have 3 SLW girls who were always chasing the others and would even peck at each other very sharply so I rehomed them and they’re doing very well in their new home.
Things calmed down quickly around here too.
Some birds do better in a different environment.
So I think you should take a wait and see approach, especially since they aren’t laying yet.

Thanks all! One of my older Easter Eggers started laying this past week! So far she's the only 1, but the other 4 are all dropping and squatting frequently, so hopefully the rest are right behind her. Just in the past few days, you can tell there's less tension between everyone, they really have started to settle down and mellow out. All is peaceful so far!

In your last sentence, you show you are already suspicious of trying to outsmart chicken behavior. The fact of the matter is you can never know how a new individual will fall into the existing pecking order or even how merely introducing a new chicken can upset the entire social order, creating more problems than you are trying to solve.

You might be able to work with this "loner" and boost their self confidence so they will be able to fit into the pecking order. Here's my article on how to do that. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

While it may not appear that this solitary chicken is being bullied, she may actually experience being a victim as her reality. The method described in the article is designed to boost self confidence in order to help the chicken shake out of the victim role and become an integrated member of the flock. I've never had my method fail.

I've read your article and have a similar set up currently at home with my 4 chickens. Two bullies against one little bantam. I keep the bullies (black Australorps) inside the house at night so the bantam can roost with the head hen (Orpington) in the coop. Then in the mornings i put the two bullies into the run while the victim and top hen free range.
Would you suggest letting the bullies free range with the queen and keeping the bantam in the run instead? She is getting her head picked bald. I should note that they were all raised together as chicks and will be a year old in April.

The bantam has the inherent problem in a flock of standard breeds of being the smallest. Any glaring difference will call attention to it from the flock. This is one reason why it's best to keep a flock of bantams separate from a flock of standards.

Some bantam individuals, like small dog breeds, can compensate for their size by being little bad-asses, but your bantam probably doesn't possess this temperament. You can try introducing more bantams into your flock if this is the only one, but you're facing an uphill battle. Your bantam would probably be better off by being rehomed to a flock of bantams.

Back
Top Bottom