One of my chickens is laying 2 eggs a day

Observations:
I have a mixed breed chicken (RIR + Sussex) that laid 2 eggs/day twice in the past week -- both times the first was on the ground, and the second was a soft-shelled egg (which of course she immediately ate). The girls are on layer feed, have free access to calcium (both eggshells & oyster shell), and range in the yard most afternoons.

I am monitoring her, but she seems to have no other symptoms of distress or disease, and I attribute it to her being part RIR (production breed; wacked reproductive system). Still, it seems she has a sudden urge to lay and drops the first egg wherever she happens to be, without going to the nest box!

It's possible that she's done this more than twice, as she's laid eggs on the ground several times, and of course if she laid a soft egg after that, it would have been gone by the time I found the first egg. I've jokingly attributed the ground-laid eggs as FOMO, assuming she didn't want to stop foraging in the yard and go back to the nest, but I think it's more likely an overpowering and sudden urge from the pressure of two eggs lined up and waiting to emerge.

Back
Top Bottom