One of my drakes is beating up the other and pulling out his neck feathers! I don’t know what to do

Kaci33

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2020
My two drakes are 8 months and today one of them started beating up the other by pulling out his feathers on the back of his neck. When I went out to separate them he has a huge red spot where his feathers were pulled. I have 3 females in there area with them. I know hormones are coming into play they have plenty of room. Is there anything I can put on his wound? Some kind of home remedy? Is this gonna continue now that it’s started? I’m a first time duck momma, and I’m so worried now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 21
6 to 8 female per drake is what I do, any less females and you will run into that. Try putting the injured duck alone for a while to heal. The winning duck has claimed all the females. I use Blu Kote for injuries, but that looks like he is just missing feathers. They will grow back, his pride will take more time to heal.

6 to 8 female per drake is what I do, any less females and you will run into that. Try putting the injured duck alone for a while to heal. The winning duck has claimed all the females. I use Blu Kote for injuries, but that looks like he is just missing feathers. They will grow back, his pride will take more time to heal.
Okay phew, I was really worried about it. The drake that lost isn’t quite as hormonal as the other one is. Do you think if I put one female in with him it would be okay?

Today is actually the first day this has happened

Personally, I’d put “no peck” on the red spot, and try to not separate the boys if you don’t intend to keep them separated/ re home/ or process one of the drakes...
It doesn’t look like a bad wound, so the no peck -should- help, even with the ducks. You should be able to get it at any large feed store, or off Amazon of you have to.
I agree that you need more hens, or to figure out another option for the extra drake. If neither of those options work for you.... unfortunately
IMO
You need to make sure the subservient drake doesn’t get hurt, but, if you aren’t willing / able to make changes, they have to figure it out. The more intervention that happens, the longer it will take.
If your “top” drake is overly aggressive w you, or the hens.... you might really consider who should go away, if that is an option.

If you have space, and want to play it as safe as possible, separate the boy that is getting beat up until you are sure the “bully” doesn’t beat up his girls, and is fertile, if that is a goal for you.
We have a lot of predator pressure where we are, so I don’t mind a (reasonably) aggressive drake to protect his ladies- as long as he’s not too rough w the hens.

You might look for a local to you Facebook page for ducks needing a home, or check CL in your area if you can/ want to increase your hen flock (or possibly to re home your extra drake).
Re homing drakes can happen, but it is not something that happens very often to be totally honest- unless he is going to go someone who wants to process him.
Not trying to be a “Debbie Downer”.... just trying to be realistic and honest. I’ve had many local to me folks push drakes on me.... they know that they will land in my smoker with rare exceptions, but. I’m honest about it, and they have a quick and painless end.

If you can’t process the extra drakes, don’t reply to those posts that have a group of hens that includes drakes.

Also. You said they have “plenty of room”
.... may i ask, how much space do they have in their coop and in their run?
Do they free range?

What is their access to feed and water?
Does feed/ water access vary day vs night?
What feed, and what types of water (poultry waterer, pool, bowls, etc)?
Also, what kind of ducks are they?

This is what I’ve gotten locally.
Most people have a TSC nearby.
I have Coastal and Wilco (I’m in the PNW) but it seems to be easy to find locally
Amd quick to get off Amazon of that is the better option for you
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...KjB_FwkxNSephAk8xOLt478Ii-mV10qxoCfNQQAvD_BwE

BluCote is not a bad second choice.
Ducks are not as drawn to blood/ sores/ red in general as turkeys and chickens. Mayuka Honey and the silver/ aluminum sprays that work great for my horses - aren’t the best option for our birds in my experience.

Hopefully someone else will chime in if they disagree. But this is what has worked for me for the past 6-7 years of having ducks....

Last edited:
Personally, I’d put “no peck” on the red spot, and try to not separate the boys if you don’t intend to keep them separated/ re home/ or process one of the drakes...
It doesn’t look like a bad wound, so the no peck -should- help, even with the ducks. You should be able to get it at any large feed store, or off Amazon of you have to.
I agree that you need more hens, or to figure out another option for the extra drake. If neither of those options work for you.... unfortunately
IMO
You need to make sure the subservient drake doesn’t get hurt, but, if you aren’t willing / able to make changes, they have to figure it out. The more intervention that happens, the longer it will take.
If your “top” drake is overly aggressive w you, or the hens.... you might really consider who should go away, if that is an option.

If you have space, and want to play it as safe as possible, separate the boy that is getting beat up until you are sure the “bully” doesn’t beat up his girls, and is fertile, if that is a goal for you.
We have a lot of predator pressure where we are, so I don’t mind a (reasonably) aggressive drake to protect his ladies- as long as he’s not too rough w the hens.

You might look for a local to you Facebook page for ducks needing a home, or check CL in your area if you can/ want to increase your hen flock (or possibly to re home your extra drake).
Re homing drakes can happen, but it is not something that happens very often to be totally honest- unless he is going to go someone who wants to process him.
Not trying to be a “Debbie Downer”.... just trying to be realistic and honest. I’ve had many local to me folks push drakes on me.... they know that they will land in my smoker with rare exceptions, but. I’m honest about it, and they have a quick and painless end.

If you can’t process the extra drakes, don’t reply to those posts that have a group of hens that includes drakes.

Also. You said they have “plenty of room”
.... may i ask, how much space do they have in their coop and in their run?
Do they free range?

What is their access to feed and water?
Does feed/ water access vary day vs night?
What feed, and what types of water (poultry waterer, pool, bowls, etc)?
Also, what kind of ducks are they?
They are ruen ducks and there coop is 8 ft 5 in. Long and 4ft 5in wide. The run is 28 ft long and 4ft 11 in wide. I have a troth for water and food, they eat an organic multi flock. I’ve taken the pool out for the winter

They are ruen ducks and there coop is 8 ft 5 in. Long and 4ft 5in wide. The run is 28 ft long and 4ft 11 in wide. I have a troth for water and food, they eat an organic multi flock. I’ve taken the pool out for the winter
I’ve never seen either one be aggressive with the girls at all, or each other. I have chickens that were free ranging today and about 8 of them flew into the duck area. Do you think the chickens made it to crowded??

I have multiple drakes 3 Runners and 1 Muscovy This will be my first time with more than one Runner drake. I keep my Muscovy separated from my other ducks. If you have enough females at least 3-4 per drake you could get by with having the 2 drakes just give them their own space We have a little over a half acre fenced so I can separate when I need too. You can even separate the coop there is plastic chicken fencing at Lowes and probably home depot .Main thing is keeping everyone safe including the drake that gets picked on.

Last edited:
I have multiple drakes 3 Runners and 1 Muscovy This will be my first time with more than one Runner drake. I keep my Muscovy separated from my other ducks. If you have enough females at least 3-4 per drake you could get by with having the 2 drakes just give them their own space We have a little over a half acre fenced so I can separate when I need too. You can even separate the coop even there is plastic chicken fencing at Lowes and probably home depot .Main thing is keeping everyone safe including the drake that gets picked on.
I agree I think I'm gonna expand a little bit more then separate I am deff going to have to get more Females though

Back
Top Bottom