One of my girls died today; how to dispose?

Lost my first duck today. Just found her. She was only 2 months old and part of a group of 4. Three remain, seemingly healthy and fine. Almost certain it was an intestinal blockage based on what I've read about her symptoms over the last 36 hours. I live in a traditional 1/4 acre lot suburban neighborhood. Is it safe to simply bury her? Do I put her directly in the ground or wrap her in plastic or fabric? Any advice would really help. I've never had to deal with this before. Not really keen on "throwing her out"; today was garbage day, anyway, so keeping her in a bin for a full week is not an option.

I'm sorry for your loss. It must be awful, I'm praying that you cheer up.

Last edited:
Any ideas what may have caused your ducks death?
We're all thinking opossum maybe? Possibly a raccoon, but we've never seen any in our yard.
Jessie's neck was snapped and a bloody mess. Eggs missing from her nest. Whatever it was probably attacked her when she was on her nest. All before the sun was even setting.
sad.png

We're all thinking opossum maybe? Possibly a raccoon, but we've never seen any in our yard.
Jessie's neck was snapped and a bloody mess. Eggs missing from her nest. Whatever it was probably attacked her when she was on her nest. All before the sun was even setting.
sad.png
Best reason in the world to have them in secure housing especially when nesting and at night, the Phrase Sitting Duck means just that.

Very sorry for your loss. Opossum usually go after eggs, mink ,weasel ,raccoon will kill mink weasel and raccoon will eat out the neck. And never think just because you have never seen a predator in your yard doesn't mean they aren't out there if there is an easy target they will find it.

Thank you ALL so much for the advice and the thoughtful condolences. I did end up burying her in a corner of the yard. Will be sowing a seed packet of forget-me-nots on the spot later today. She was our first duck and I never imagined I'd get so emotional about losing one. It all happened in less than 36-hours. Suddenly not eating; barely moved; didn't want to swim; walking was difficult. Based on things I've read online, her symptoms are spot on for an intestinal blockage. I just wish I knew WHY it happened so that I could try and prevent it happening to the remaining three. Did I overfeed? Was it the new grower feed? This is her in the picture. Her name was River.

Thank you ALL so much for the advice and the thoughtful condolences. I did end up burying her in a corner of the yard. Will be sowing a seed packet of forget-me-nots on the spot later today. She was our first duck and I never imagined I'd get so emotional about losing one. It all happened in less than 36-hours. Suddenly not eating; barely moved; didn't want to swim; walking was difficult. Based on things I've read online, her symptoms are spot on for an intestinal blockage. I just wish I knew WHY it happened so that I could try and prevent it happening to the remaining three. Did I overfeed? Was it the new grower feed? This is her in the picture. Her name was River.
Awwwww, she was so pretty and looked quite healthy to me. Although, I don't raise ducks and have no knowledge when it comes to them.

River was beautiful, could she have eaten something out in the yard a piece of string, etc things like that can block up the intestines. netting? also egg binding could be a possibility too. Metal will block them up also.

I'm sorry for your loss. I live in the country and we have a lost a few ducks over the years.

Options:
trash can
Different areas have different laws about putting pets/livestock in the trash. May want to check your area first to ser if you can but if you want to risk it go for it. If you do this the best I can recommend first trash bag then packing tape at the top then 2 more bags to help keep smell in.

Backyard burial
Again different laws in different areas. For this method a shoe box is good if she will fit if not it's ok. Trash bags are not a good idea because they don't really let the process work and the next people who move in may find an unhappy suprise bease it takes so long to decompose.
Protecting once in the ground is important. Animals will smell the burual site but you can use several different things to help keep them from digging.
Lime, sold at most hardware stores, cover the pet in as much as you feel is good. I try for a thick dusting but not completely covered then cover the animal in the remaining dirt.
Gas, any type, if you have all ready covered the pet in dirt can be pored over the area. 1/2 gallon should be plenty but if you notice dogs taking interest in the area you can pore more around the site. You might have problems planting in that area for a few weeks but then it will be fine.

I'm sorry . It's so hard to lose a pet. I hope this helps and maybe help keep any unhappy suprises from happening..
Jade

Best reason in the world to have them in secure housing especially when nesting and at night, the Phrase Sitting Duck means just that.

Very sorry for your loss. Opossum usually go after eggs, mink ,weasel ,raccoon will kill mink weasel and raccoon will eat out the neck. And never think just because you have never seen a predator in your yard doesn't mean they aren't out there if there is an easy target they will find it.
Oh absolutely. I never doubt what we might have in our yard. I'm going to build a good, much more secure shed for James. I don't want to risk losing him next.

Are you going to get James a Companion?
I am planning on it. I've been looking around in my area for some ducks for sale, and a neighbor has one they may get rid of.
He's so obviously lonely, I know it's not good for him to be so alone. I can't stay out by his side 24/7 like another duck could.

Any tips on introducing new ducks to each other?

Back
Top Bottom