One of my girls died today; how to dispose?

Also be careful of male to female ratios. If you only want 1 more duck, get a male. If you get a minimum of 3 more you could get all females. Male ducks are very rough on the females if they don't have many!

Dancing kept James happy, so dance we did!
Nope. No more slacking. I'm the one who brought them home just for them to waddle into our hearts. We're getting a new pool today hopefully, since the current one has a hole in it.

I can't go long without mentioning my horses, I'm incredibly proud of them. We've got a heck of a story.

I was planning on looking for a few females, because we really did love the eggs.
But, if I can't order from Metzers, but I do find a male, that could work? Letting them meet, separated from a fence.

Last edited:
Awesome!

My first horse is a rescue, who I named Jade. My grandfather always promised me a horse, so he finally got me one before he passed 3 years ago.

She was a 5 year old walking horse. Unbroke, practically on her death bed. Skin and bones, but I fell in love, and he saw potential in her so we got her.
Once she got weight on her, she started getting more spunk to her, and I had only had 2 years over very off and on lessons. I had no idea what to do.
So all I did was groom her and spend time with her in the barn or pasture. I ended up buying my lesson horse the barn manager/my now good friend owned. I fell in love with Robin the moment I saw her.

Despite everyone telling me to sell Jade I kept her, I rode Robin and my confidence grew more and more. That barn shut down when the owner died 2 years ago. And I found the barn I'm at now.

The owner has been around horses her entire life and helped me with Jade so much. From her being unbroke and no ground manners, and me being clueless and terrified, to riding Jade every single day, learning ground work, and turning into a beautiful horse! We have plans of doing endurance. She loves long fast rides, as do I. She'll be a great endurance horse, and I found a sport I can do with her!

Robin is 20 now, and we take it easier than we did 3 years ago. I still ride her every day, not 2+ hours like Jade, but we still get a good hour in. She takes care of me. They really both do, they've been with me through so much.

I have so much pride in Jade because of what we've been through. I saved her life, and we do what I never dreamed we do. I never saw us getting to this point. We've got a long way to go, but it feels amazing to look back and see our progress!

I can post pictures too if you'd like
smile.png

Always pics! It sounds like you have an amazing animal family.
My furrs are my life! It doesn't always make me the best at interacting with people though!!!
I don't know anything about horses. Can I assume that 20 is an old horse?

This is Jade's before and after. March 2012, and May 2015

And this is Robin!

Jade and I really like obnoxious amounts of bright colors.

And yes, 20 is getting up there for horses. They usually live 20-30 years.
For 20, Robin looks amazing, and I get compliments on how great she looks pretty often.
big_smile.png

That before pic is very disturbing. I'm so glad your grandpa saw her potential. I do know that it takes a long period of neglect to look that bad.
Your after pics are great!!! Beautiful!
What are the pink wraps on her ankles? Support or decorations?

Thank you! It was loads of hard work, but every day I thank him for convincing me to get her! And believe it or not, that before picture was 2 months after getting her, and it was an improvement compared to how she looked when I got her in January.

The pink things are boots! The way she's built, her legs are close together, when we start moving fast she knocks herself, so they protect her from damaging herself. Same goes for the pink ones on her feet.
smile.png

Only got them recently this year, after deciding stupid or not, I'd ask the owner if boots would be a smart idea. They were!

Last edited:
I'm glad she'll be living the rest of her life in health and love. I grew up reading a book Misty of Chincoteague. I eventually got to actually go to Chincoteague Island and see the wild horses. They were some of the most amazing creatures I have ever seen.
My neighbors have horses they rescued and now barrel race! I've been able to even see their pet mare give birth. The baby was all legs and head!!!
Since you seem to enjoy rescuing, another idea might be to find a duck rescue... There's not a lot of them, but they are out there... You might be able to find James a friend in a rescue!

Last edited:
I read Misty of Chincoteague too! That's so cool that you got to go to Chincoteague Island
big_smile.png

I love hearing about rescues of any kind ending up in great homes doing things they enjoy! Foals are so cute, they seriously are all leg and head! I love it

I never thought about a duck rescue! I know a place with rescue birds (parrots), and have gone there to see all the birds happy and healthy.
I'm a huge fan of rescues, so I'd absolutely love to find a duck rescue and get James a friend from there. Brilliant! I hope I can find one near me because that would honestly make me feel so great.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom