One of the reasons i love ducks...

KansasKid

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 7, 2010
South East Kansas
In part you feel a bit bad for them but you cannot help but smirk when you expose this years hatch to ice. I let the ducks out this morning with the temperature around 16 and not thinking. The older ducks flew to the edge of the pond and not in. The younger ducks flew into the pond where they proceeded to slide all the way across it.
lol.png

Mine did the samething a couple months ago. They looked so angry after lol. Now they wont even stay outside they go out and if the water is frozen they go back in the coop and wont leave anymore that day.

Mine disliked snow and ice at first. By the end of the winter, they were skiing down the piles we tossed off the deck, cross-country walking over the snow, and eating chunks of it nonstop.

We had our first serious frost the other night. The next morning the ducks ran amuck when I moved them from their houses to the outdoor pen and made straight for the pond - which had frozen over over night. They all jumped in and proceeded to break through the ice - they were none too pleased. But wish I had had a camera available to take a picture. They were a bit startled to say the least. First time they have encountered ice on the pond.

I think it's funny when the ice is just thick enough for them to stand on for a second, so when they are done swimming and want to preen and they try and step up on the ice they keep falling through.

Back
Top Bottom