One packing peanut way smaller then the others...pullet?

Brahmamama4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Washington
I received 7 BR packing peanuts with my order from Ideal last week and they are all doing well except one is way smaller then the others. We're talking half the size of the other rooster chicks. Could this be a pullet or am I just having wishful thinking? It's eating well and acting normal otherwise.

Barred Rocks are easy to sex. At 4-5 weeks, it is extremely obvious, as the feather in completely differently.

The females look dark and the barring is more like specs. The pullets will grow up to be barred beautifully, but at 4 weeks, they don't look like they will. Pullets sometimes have a black streak of wash down the front of their legs. There will be no wattles until 15 weeks of age. Their combs will stay small and yellow until 14 or 15 weeks.

The cockerels, at 4-5 weeks, look very much like a Barred Rock. The predominate, broad, white stripes really stand out. They will sport red wattles by 6 weeks. The comb of the cockerel will already be turning red at 5-6 weeks.

So, while you might not see the difference today, within a few weeks, it will be very obvious. Here's a photo at 5 weeks old. The pullet you see is now featured in my avatar.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom