One tiny chick

LaneJohnson

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2023
I purchased 4 chicks the day after they hatched. Same clutch, all hatched within 24 hrs, all same breed. One of the four was slightly smaller when I purchased them (I assumed probably last to hatch). Now, at 4 weeks, it is CONSIDERABLY smaller. Developing much slower. Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

Attachments

• 20230911_174325.png
    20230911_174325.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230911_174316.jpg
    20230911_174316.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 2
Some chicks have something called failure to thrive, which results in them developing very very slowly, and a lot of times they can die from it. Does the chick act any different? Is it still eating and drinking and active? I’d keep a close eye on it. I suggest maybe giving the bird some nutridrench, and or some egg yolk raw or cooked it fine.

Some chicks have something called failure to thrive, which results in them developing very very slowly, and a lot of times they can die from it. Does the chick act any different? Is it still eating and drinking and active? I’d keep a close eye on it.
Still eating and drinking well, still active but hides more often in the brooder. There are 3 other ayams, one blue ameraucana, and 2 yokohama chicks in there, so it's pretty active in there all the time. This chick doesn't mind being held, but it's certainly not any calmer than the others while in the brooder.

Some chicks have something called failure to thrive, which results in them developing very very slowly, and a lot of times they can die from it. Does the chick act any different? Is it still eating and drinking and active? I’d keep a close eye on it. I suggest maybe giving the bird some nutridrench, and or some egg yolk raw or cooked it fine.
I will definitely add some egg yolk, thanks for the advice! I already gave some nutridrench. I hope this one makes it, even if it's always smaller. I can just keep it with my bantams, lol.

Still eating and drinking well, still active but hides more often in the brooder. There are 3 other ayams, one blue ameraucana, and 2 yokohama chicks in there, so it's pretty active in there all the time. This chick doesn't mind being held, but it's certainly not any calmer than the others while in the brooder.
That’s a good sign. A lot of times they become weak and get trampled, but it sounds like it’s holding its own. I would still suggest keeping up with a bit of nutridrench and sone egg yolk. Keep an eye on it too. Hoping she’ll catch up to the others soon. I had a duckling that failed to thrive and I gently force fed it for a month before it started growing like crazy, and caught up in size too his siblings faster than I could blink it seemed 😝

Back
Top Bottom